scout rear axle bearing seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

scout rear axle bearing seals

I have come to understand that there are two kinds of scout rear axle wheel bearings. The timken tapered bearings with a seperate bearing and cup (which came with both the scouts I have - '73 &'74), and a one piece bearing. I understand the two piece bearing is lubed by regular greasing, whereas the one piece is lubed by differential fluid flowing down the tubes. I like the idea of greas lubing the bearings. My question is: should I put the inboard axle seal in place and use the one piece bearing (then the outer seal)? Are these bearings not made to be lubed by grease? Do they need diff. fluid? I was only able to get a one piece tapered timken bearing. Any input would be appreciated. thanks jamey williams.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: scout rear axle bearing seals

There are two types of bearings, but you can use either type. So yes you can use the type with the inner seal which relies on grease applied to the bearing. If you need part numbers I got the bearing numbers from Jim Weed's page at this site. Let me know if you need part numbers for the seals, I think I have them at home.

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: scout rear axle bearing seals

thanks tom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode