Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   IH Scout & Trucks (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/)
-   -   Pickup info? (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/18055-pickup-info.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 02-16-2000 02:58 AM

Pickup info?

I'm a diesel Scout guy, and haven't spent all that much time looking into any other aspects of the IH world (except some Web browsing and a brief stint working for Anything Scout last summer). Now, I need to. :)
I found a '74 IH 3/4 ton pickup for sale, and while I can't afford it and love my diesel Scout, my dad needs a 4x4 pickup, and this would be ideal for him (gotta introduce him into the IH world; he's got a Ford right now). I've taken a look; it appears to be in good condition offhand. I'll put the specs below.
I need to know if there are any trouble spots to look for on this truck (anything different from a '80 Scout II as far as trouble spots?). Anything else? Any obvious trouble signs with the gas engines (again, I've got a diesel)? Thanks in advance! Also, it's got dual fuel tanks...what's the size on them? And what would this truck be worth (I've got a price listed, but want other opinions)?

info on this truck:
1974 IH 200 All Wheel Drive pickup
392 V-8 with 4bbl Holley carb; supposedly runs well
Wide ratio manual tranny (T-18?)-new clutch
NP-205 transfer case
unknown rear end gears
power steering
dual exhaust
exterior in decent shape; some rust on the roof but that's it; very little rust underneath (compared to my rusted-out Scout II :) )
interior in EXCELLENT condition

Again, thanks in advance!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T

**DONOTDELETE** 02-16-2000 11:50 AM

Re: Pickup info?

One place to look for rust is where the hood hinge bolts to the inner fender - these tend to rust
through. The gas engines are very reliable if not over-revved, though the 392s don't seem to live
quite as long as the 304s and 345s. I think the transmission is a T98 rather than a T18, but
they're very similar. One good thing about the 74/75s is that they had disk brakes up front.
You might want to check the condition of the windshield - new ones aren't available, so if
it's cracked you'll need to roam the junkyards for a replacement. The fuel tanks in my
Travelall are 20 and 16 - I would think a pickup would be the same.

Later,
Curt

**DONOTDELETE** 02-23-2000 12:39 PM

Actually the tanks in my 75 are 10 or 12 gallons each. I'd pull the drums and see what shape they are in (haven't found cheap replacements yet.) Same with the discs, although I think you can convert to Ford disks up front.

Rust... mine is rusted out in the following places...

Pickup bed
Hood hinges/inner fenderwells
Radiator support
Cab floor
Cab corners
Cab firewall (behind the fenders)

OK, so I'll be looking for a new cab and fender wells (already have a bed and radiator support). Otherwise mine has been a joy and pain for the last 5 years. Pretty dependable in the winter, better in the summer with an electric fuel pump. Mostly just having a hard time keeping it tuned for the weather. Has the 304V8, wish it had the 345 or 392 so I could get a 4 barrel carb on it.

Around here (Indiana) I would expect to pay around $2500-$3500 or so for this truck, more during the winter. You can check out the want ad's on the Binder Bulletin to see if there's anything comparable.

**DONOTDELETE** 02-26-2000 12:43 AM

Thanks all for your posts...but I drove by the truck today and the sign was taken down, so I guess the owner either changed his mind or he sold the truck. Again, thanks!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T

**DONOTDELETE** 02-28-2000 12:53 AM

I had a 71 travellal I bought new in 71.I'm pretty sure It had a 19 gal main tank, and a 14 gallon aux on the left front. I had a 345 in mine, and didn't have any problems with it. It got about 15-16 mpg. My 78 Scout gets 12!