twin stick dana 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

twin stick dana 20

how do get the interlocking pins out that hold the shift rods in so that I can make my transfercase shift into 2 low? Also how do I gst the low range gear out?
Please detail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: twin stick dana 20

I've only done it with a dana 300, but a dana 20 should be about the same. To get the interlock out you
need to pretty much disassemble the whole case. You need to remove both shift rails from the shifter
housing (the piece that contains the front output shaft's front bearing race). Each shift rail has detents
and a ball with a spring, to hold it in the proper position for high, neutral, and low - rotate the shift rail to
get the ball out of the groove, then you can pull it out. There are two plugs about 1/4" in diameter on the
side of the shifter housing that you need to remove (it's nearly impossible to remove them without
destroying them - I think I got some replacements from Outback Parts) to get the interlock plugs out. It's
a good idea to shim the springs while you're at it, to help keep the shifters from popping out of gear.

After saying all that, I'd recommend that you see if it will shift into rear-wheel-drive low range before you
disassemble - you may not need to remove the interlock at all. You'll need to disconnect the
shifter linkage, and operate the shift rails manually. If you find that you don't need to remove
the interlock, then you'll need to fabricate a twin-stick setup (I modified a Currie twin-stick
conversion that's made for jeeps - it didn't require any welding/grinding of the shift rails, but
you need to bend or cut/weld the shift levers). I went ahead and removed the interlock
on mine because I already had the transfer case disassembled for a rebuild and for installation of
a Tera gearset.

>Also how do I gst the low range gear out?
Which gear do you mean?

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Bub

Twin stick

I am considering a twin stick setup too. What happens if i just make new levers that control the shift rods independently? I could fab it all myself, and i have seen kits that say no dissasembly required. Are they B.S.? Will it not stay where i put it? I realize it would be bad to run one axle in high and one in low, is that the only isue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode