Delco-Remy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Delco-Remy

I recently purchased a 75' Scout with a 345/auto. for $200. The Starter was shot so I purchased a remanufactured one for $75. Other than that I threw a battery in and some gas and it started right up. The Scout has not been on the road since 91'. I was impressed. I drove it around the block and discovered that the transmission was slipping badly. Thats the first project. So to make a long story short, Yesterday I went out to start it after all the snow we had(Va) I turned the key and nothing. I turned it again and heard a noise coming from underneath the steering column. I traced it to a little silver "box". The box is connected by a screw to the steering column support that goes to the firewall. The "box" has Delco-Remy on it. It also has 920-12V stamped on it. There are three wires that go into it. 2 white and 1 black. I assume The "box" is a relay.. It made a pinging noise when I turned the key. This box I assume sends power to the starter? I checked my starter and it spun over via the old screwdriver test. What I want to know is this "box" vital for the Scout to start or is it something else? Is this a easy to find item if so? Thanks-Booker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Delco-Remy

Do not replace that part it is about $35.00. The problem is in the wiring. Some times the connector at the firewall on the passenger side. It comes appart, corrides, or melts. To correct remove the connector and hard wire. All Scouts seem to suffer from this. You can put a remote starter on it, where you can push a button. (turn the key to the on position and hit button) A company call Painless Wiring makes a wiring hariness, but cost big bucks. Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The part your concerned with is simply the starter relay. In fact it is the same as the horn relay located on the drivers side corner of the hood below the windshield. It should just unplug. Take your relay to the local parts store and I am sure they can cross ref it to a relay that is similar. After time goes by that relay eventually gets burned and will stick. Yours sounds stuck.. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The relay under the dash is part of the neutral safety switch circuit. One wire comes from the ignition switch,one wire goes to the stater
and the other wire goes to the middle prong on the neutral safety/back-up light switch on the transmission. When the trans is in park or neutral the
middle wire is grounded and the relay is closed and current goes to the starter. Try unplugging the connector under the dash and putting a
jumper wire between the two big wires. Just make sure the trans is in park or it will get real interesting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode