Scout Newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout Newbie

My friend just bought a 79 Scout. In fact he hasn't even picked it up yet. I am a Jeeper and know very little about scouts. I have a few questions because I will be the one building the vehicle. What are the trouble spots to look for (ie. rust locations), what axles came stock (dana 44's?), how are the 345 v8's. Is there any good web sites to check out so I can educate myself on these trucks? Thanks for your help. Vince

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout Newbie

Try checking out www.binderbulletin.org They have tons of info in their FAQ section. and the "Tech Talk" board is great.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>My friend just bought a 79 Scout. In fact he hasn't even picked it up yet. I am a Jeeper and know very little about scouts. I have a few questions
> because I will be the one building the vehicle. What are the trouble spots to look for (ie. rust locations), what axles came stock (dana 44's?), how are
> the 345 v8's. Is there any good web sites to check out so I can educate myself on these trucks? Thanks for your help. Vince

Hello Vince!
Rust trouble spots can include:
- rockers. the inner and outer rockers form a metal tube that tends to fill up with crud and rust from the inside out
- rear wheel well. Right at the top of the wheel well, the inner and outer fender meet and can trap crud.
- front body mount (under the driver's and passenger's feet). There is a sheetmetal tube about 1" by 4" that
tends to rust out.
- floors. Usually along the rockers. The vinyl floor mats tend to hold in moisture, and it seems to collect along
the lip right along the door weathersripping and rust through.
- rear sill. This is the crossmember at the back of the bed that the tailgate bolts to. Again, this is a sheetmetal
tube that collects crud and rusts from the inside out. When it gets bad, the sides of the bed will tend to lean
out as the ends of the sill sag.

Take a look at http://www.off-road.com/~jweed for some great technical info on building Scouts for
offroading, as well as vendor lists, etc.

Feel free to post any other questions as they come up.

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Vince. I have a 78 Traveler, the long wheelbase "Station wagon", as AZ DOT says. I bought a 71 IH Travellal, IH's answer to the Chevy suburban. The 345 is a truck engine. It will go forever, unless you run it out of water. My wife did that to my Travellal in 77, and I just did it a year ago on my Scout Traveler The 345 is BIG. It weighs about 750 lbs. Parts can be very expensive. DO NOT RUN IT OUT OF WATER. I just had mine rebuilt. My checking account is still bleeding. I could have done it much cheeaper myself, but I'm 62 and I rebuilt the Travellal engine in 77. One is enough. My daughter's husband and his dad removed and replaced the engine and transmission. Shucks, why do just the engine? I checked all over for IH red for the engine, and finally found it at a Case/IH dealer. It takes three cans. Remember, it's a big engine. It does really look spiffy. Gary, the father-in-law, who had just finished putting a chevy engine in his jeep, kept saying" Gees, that's a big engine", mixed with'Internationals engines are different from ANYTHING I've ever worked on". Mixed with a few colorful phrases that anybody who has worked on aN IH engine already knows. My 345 had 150,000 miles when I overheated it. The light bulb in the Temp gauge burned out on my way home, and then a radiator hose developed a started a large leak. Lesson two- replace those bulbs; better yet, keep spares. It's big, it's heavy, and most people will tell you it will last forever with a minimun of care. I also had the valve covers chromed. I have a couple of photos of the ebgines if you'd like to see what it looks like out of the car freshly painted. You may never see another one freshly rebuilt. Bob KNOTTS, PHX AZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode