>My friend just bought a 79 Scout. In fact he hasn't even picked it up yet. I am a Jeeper and know very little about scouts. I have a few questions
> because I will be the one building the vehicle. What are the trouble spots to look for (ie. rust locations), what axles came stock (dana 44's?), how are
> the 345 v8's. Is there any good web sites to check out so I can educate myself on these trucks? Thanks for your help. Vince
Rust trouble spots can include:
- rockers. the inner and outer rockers form a metal tube that tends to fill up with crud and rust from the inside out
- rear wheel well. Right at the top of the wheel well, the inner and outer fender meet and can trap crud.
- front body mount (under the driver's and passenger's feet). There is a sheetmetal tube about 1" by 4" that
tends to rust out.
- floors. Usually along the rockers. The vinyl floor mats tend to hold in moisture, and it seems to collect along
the lip right along the door weathersripping and rust through.
- rear sill. This is the crossmember at the back of the bed that the tailgate bolts to. Again, this is a sheetmetal
tube that collects crud and rusts from the inside out. When it gets bad, the sides of the bed will tend to lean
out as the ends of the sill sag.
Take a look at http://www.off-road.com/~jweed
for some great technical info on building Scouts for
offroading, as well as vendor lists, etc.
Feel free to post any other questions as they come up.