Fiberglass - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fiberglass

Has anyone or does anyone know how difficult it is to put a fiberglass body on a scout. Specifically a terra. Have heard that you should not mix and match steel parts on a fiberglass body specifically the doors. Any information would be appreciated. Live in Wisconsin and the mechanicals are good but the bodies shot. Have a 76 Terra with about 40,000 on it. New to IH's jumped ship from VW's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 08:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fiberglass

I have a 78 Traveler. I'll check with Jerry at C&W auto parts here in PHX. He specializes in Scouts and light IH's (Is there such a thing?). What part of Wisconsin are you in? I worked for an aerial mapping co. there in 58. We mapped the highway from 6 points in Eau Claire to Menominee Falls (I think). My late wife was from Bloomer, or some place like that. Off hand, I can't think why using foberglass and metal together together should be a problem. Two different kinds of metal could be a problem, but I think fiberglass is inert, or neutral. I spent a couple of years in aircraft maintenance in the navy, and we had a lot of fiberglass panels mixed with the metal airframe and surfaces. How cold is it back there? It's been getting down to 40 or 50 here. (But up to 117 in the summer!) Regards, Bob Knotts

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Haven't been on the computer for awhile sorry. I live in Madison and am working on my scout at my dad's in Adams County. I live in an apartment (boy that part really sucks) hopefully someday a house?? I was talking to the owner of A.T. scouts and he said that if you use metal doors the weight of them will effect the door opening. I am still unsure about fiberglass vs. metal. I know it would be easier to get a fiberglass body and it would probably last longer especially here in WI. We are experiencing 20-30 degree days and cold nights usually around 10 or below. Today we are suppose to get 6-10 inches or fluffy stuff before morning. It is snowing now. Thanks for your reply did you get any other information from the shop you were going to contact. Greatly appreciate any advise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kurtis,

A common myth about fiberglass bodies and steel doors is that the doors will be too heavy. They say that about Scouts, Jeeps and just about all other off-road vehicles. It's just not true. I have put steel doors on various types of fiberglass bodies and have never had a problem - it just takes a little extra work.

First, lousy glass bodies are a waste of money. If they're flimsy and lightweight they'll just snap when you get them off-road anyway - huge waste of money. Invest in a body with thick, heavy floors and side walls. They should be reinforced with steel, checkerboard plywood (preferrably marine grade), or a combination of both.

Second, when hanging the doors, use a little ingenuity. If you can't bolt the hinges right through the side walls (like you can on a Jeep) you may want to fabricate 90 degree hinge brackets. These will place the weight of the doors on the vertical walls (very strong). You may want to join the top and bottom brackets with a custom fabricated bracket (made out of flat stock) for increased rigidity. This, of course, goes on the inside of the vehicle.

Don't rely on screws or bolts for mounting anything heavy on fiberglass. Use the natural strength of through-bolting through the vertical walls. You'll love the rust-free life of your new vehicle. Oh yeah, use stainless steel bolts.

- Jake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode