Overdrive on a Dana 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Overdrive on a Dana 20

I have a 76 Scout with a 392, granny T19, Dana 20, 4.11 Dana 44's and 33x10.5 Buckshots. This low gearing works great on the trail but 3000rpm at 60mph really sucks the gas and sevearly limits my cruising speed.

Does any one know of a bolt on overdrive that I can use with a Dana 20? Do you know where to get one?

Am I correct in assuming I could probably do a direct bolt on replacement of my Dana 20 with a Dana 18 and use a Saturn overdrive from Advanced adapters?

I was hoping to spend less than $1000. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Overdrive on a Dana 20

Somebody had an o/d unit listed here for sale that fit a Dana 20. It was adapted by Rancho, I think. I e-mailed him for more information, but he had already sold it. I just had my 345 and 727 trans. rebuilt, so I'm letting my bank account recuperate. There are probably more out there. You might try contacting some of the Scout vendors listed on Jim Weed's vendors pages. I think the addres is: www.off-road.com/~jweeds/parts Good luck. Please let me know if you find out anything. Bob Knotts

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2000, 12:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Overdrive on a Dana 20

I know U.S. Gear makes an overdrive unit that actually goes between the transmission and transfer case (so you can use it in 4 wheel, too). I think it's mostly for truck applications but it wouldn't hurt to at least ask them and see what they can do for you. Just a thought...good luck!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode