switching out 800 axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

switching out 800 axles

I am thinking about putting dana 44 axles of a Scout II on my 1966 Scout 800. Does anyone know if this will work and if so what problems will I run into?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: switching out 800 axles

Yes it is possible, and is done quite a bit. I am almost 'half' done with mine (rear axle in), front setting alongside waiting patiently. The axles are about two inches wider than the stock 800 axles, but it really doesn't show; the major problem is that the spring perch spacing is different between the two. Going from memory, I 'think' the rear perches each have to be moved inboard the width of the perch; the fronts have to be moved outboard about an inch and a half or two inches (check out www.binderbulletin.org, under FAQ's, there is a section on this conversion that spells it out). The fixed passenger side perch on the Scout II D-44 is a problem; supposedly you can redrill the center bolt hole outward, and grind new notches into the casing for the U-bolts, but I really did not want to do that, it did not look to me like the sturdiest setup. I plan to relocate my springs inboard on the frame (considering a shackle reversal at the same time) that will allow me to use the stock locations. If you have a V-8 or six cylinder with the steering box outboard on the frame, you can use the stock steering box with some mods to the pitman arm; if you can pick up the pieces for power steering, that would bolt in and not require any mods to the linkage at all from what I can find out. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode