Oil Pressure Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil Pressure Help

Hello,

I just purchased an 1980 Scout II. It has a 304, and I have a question. When I purchased the Scout it did not run. I brought it home and replaced the battery terminals and ... Vroom....Purrrr. Except for one little problem. No Oil Pressure indication. My first reaction was that it was a gauge problem, because the speedometer does not work either, but now I am not so sure. Does anyone know how to check the oil pressure without the gauge working? And if there really is no oil pressure where is a good place to buy an Oil Pump.

Thanks,
Jeff Ingraham

P.S. There was plenty of oil in the engine at the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil Pressure Help

I had the same problem (no oil pressure reading) on my diesel Scout II. What mine did (actually, still does) is read nothing when the engine's running at warm idle. When I throttle up, the gauge reading goes up to halfway. The gauge also reads when the engine's idling while cold (before the oil starts flowing real well). I pulled my valve cover and started the engine, and, even warm, I could see my oil flowing. There wasn't much that was plainly visible (which seems normal to me; you usually don't have oil going up in spurts), but it was clear that everything was getting lubed, at a point that's further away from the oil pump than anything else that was visible. So, it was clear to me that I had oil pressure, and that the gauge was lying to me.

There are two common things that'll create this reading. One is the sending unit. You can test this with an ohm meter; I don't know the values right off but if the reading is VERY high or completely off the scale, the sending unit's bad. Foir instance, my bad sending unit reads about 200,000 ohms, and I think the value's supposed to be in single or double digits.
The other is the constant voltage regulator. This little gem [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] controls output to the oil pressure gauge, as well as the coolant temerpature gauge and the fuel gauge. If one, the other, or both of those are messed up, your CVR could be messed up. I don't know how to test it, but I've heard that a solid-state regulator's available, and would be a good upgrade no matter what (even if the old mechanical CVR's good). I don't know wher eyou can get them; wish I did. You can try an International dealer.

Hoep that helps some! Good luck! You got a good truck (even though it's a gasburner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil Pressure Help

Hi. You can test your sending unit by taking the wire from the sending unit loose and toucing a good ground. If the gauge is good, the needle will jump up to the peg. If the gauge is bad, nothing will happen. On my 78 Scout there are two different types of senders. One has a straight in fitting, the other has a 90 degree turn. Or you can change the fitting on the wire if you can only get one type of sender. I just had my 345 rebuilt, and both the oil press and water temp sendes were bad. I'm going to try to send you the list of vendors from the Binder bunchs webpage. http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/parts.htm. I live in PHX AZ and buy a lot of parts from Jerry at C&W. I've also bought stuff from Scout MADness. Good luck. Bob KNOTTS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode