Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   IH Scout & Trucks (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/)
-   -   Substitute brake rotors - Thanks JJC & Curt (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/17995-substitute-brake-rotors-thanks-jjc-curt.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 01-12-2000 12:53 AM

Substitute brake rotors - Thanks JJC & Curt

JJC ~
You are absolutely correct, Jeep Dana 30 knuckles on out can be swapped onto most IH Dana 44 axles. The only drawback I had in performing this conversion was the fact that my '76 CJ7 came fully equipped with DRUM brakes at all four corners. Not an ideal setup in my mind. Seeing as I run mostly mud around here, I wanted to try and get discs up front and hopefully fabricate a method for the rear axle sometime down the line. Unfortunately, I didn't research the cost of IH discs before I made the decision and built a custom coil front suspension to support my front Dana 44. I came across a place that claims to sell the tie-rod ends I apparently need for around $30/each, so I can live with that. Now it's just a matter of finding some discs for a reasonable price. I'm going to check into Curt's suggestion and see if Jeep discs will in fact bolt up. Thanks a lot for the suggestions...I appreciate the help!

<font color=green>1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
Dana 44 Front & Rear</font color=green>

**DONOTDELETE** 01-12-2000 07:29 PM

Re: Substitute brake rotors - Thanks JJC & Curt

> I wanted to try and get discs up front and hopefully fabricate a method for the rear axle sometime down the line.
Assuming you're still talking about '75 IH model 150 axles, you can use the TSM kit that they specify for
Scout II to get rear disk brakes on the 150 rear axle - I put the kit on my Travelall.

Later,
Curt

**DONOTDELETE** 01-12-2000 09:13 PM

Curt~
Excellent point. I'm still in the process of working out some of the kinks I ran into while fabricating a custom coil suspension for my front suspension. Once that is good to go, I'll begin looking into the rear axle. Thanks for the tip on the TSM cnversion, that sounds like the easiest way to upgrade that to discs as well. How do you like the kit on your Travelall...can you really notice a difference? Where did you order your kit from?

<font color=green>1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
Dana 44 Front & Rear</font color=green>

**DONOTDELETE** 01-13-2000 10:49 AM

>How do you like the kit on your Travelall...can you really notice a difference?
It's hard to make a fair comparison, since one of the drums was badly scored when I
got the truck. Rather than try to repair the drums, I converted to discs. It stops much
straighter and shorter than it did before, but it's hard to say how much of that was due
to the scored disc.

>Where did you order your kit from?
I ordered it directly from TSM. They once had a web page, though I'm not sure if it's still there. I'm
pretty sure the contact info is on Jim Weed's vendor page. If not, they advertise regularly in all of
the 4wd magazines, and you can get their phone # that way.

Later,
Curt

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2000 09:40 PM

FWIW, I was told by a hardcore Jeeper that the rotors from a 77 Jeep CJ-7 are identical to the ones used on the Scouts. 76 CJ-7's had drums, and 78 used a different style brake, so 77 was the year you had to specify.