what to buy???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what to buy????

Hello

I am new here.

I am looking to pick up a scout fairly soon, and have been doing some research.

I am asking the following questions...

1. What (in your opinion) is the best year/model scout to buy.

I worked as a mechanic for a while and have done numerous engine rebuilds a couple of auto trans rebuilds, and alot of clutch jobs. I don't do body work, and I don't have know-how or equipment to weld.

any suggestions, or if you know of one for sale in the Southeast let me know.

I am in Auburn, AL

Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what to buy????

Internationals in general, and Scout IIs in particular are unique in that while most cars will quit running before the body goes, Scouts run long after their body has gone (been replaced and gone again, in some cases). Long story short, the drivetrains are as solid as anything out there today. You may find a unit that needs an engine or tranny rebuilt, though. Most Scout II's came with Dana 44's front and rear. Common engine sizes were 304 & 345 V-8s. There were 4 & 6 cyl. models, and diesels also. Depending on the size you want the Scout 80/800s were smaller than the Scout IIs (100"wb), then there's the Scout Traveler & Terra (pickup) 118"wb.
As for what year, that depends on what specifics your looking for. Some years are better for the metal used in the bodies, other years are good for brake/drivetrain set ups, etc...
Hope this steers you in the right direction. You might also want to check http://www.Binderbulletin.org

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what to buy????

I know of two IH Scout IIs for sale in huntsville at $1000 each if your willing to travel that far.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode