Substitute brake rotors?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Substitute brake rotors??

I've heard rumors that brake rotors from 1978-1979 Ford F150s are able to be used instead of IH parts...any truth to this? The reason I"m asking is that I'm to the point where my front Dana 44 out of a 1976 IH Pickup 150 series are in serious need of replacement. All the local parts stores quote me a price right around $150 for EACH rotor...excluding hub. This is mighty steep in my mind. If I could get away with using a $25 rotor from a Ford instead, I'd jump at the opportunity. Thanks!

<font color=green>1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
Dana 44 Front & Rear</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Substitute brake rotors??

I'm not positive on this, but it is worth investigating, jeep dana 30 and 44 outboard ends are interchangeable, maybe the jeep outboard knuckle will fit the IH truck 44 front end, this would also get you away from those expensive IH tie rod ends. just a sugestion
jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your 150 is a 4x4 then they are the same as Scout rotors (which happen to be the same as CJ-7). At least
that's what I found on my '75 Travelall 150. You can get new ones from a company called No Excuses in New
Jersey for about $40 each.

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You must mean 75 IH 150 series pickup. Any rumors of rotors for the 200 series 4x4's. I have heard that some guys use GM stuff from the knuckle outward, including the knuckle. But who would want to weaken their binder? GM uses 6 bolts instead of 8 to hold on the spindle. I have heard of using Ford rotors on scouts, too.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Binderman~

You are absolutely right, the axles are out of a 1975 instead of a 1976 Int'l Pickup...must have hit the wrong number when I first was typing. Let me guess, IH didn't make a 150 series PU truck in '76?? I too have heard a great deal of people who supposedly "upgrade" their model 44 axles using GM parts, but like you mentioned, why downgrade from an 8 bolt spindle pattern to a 6?? When I get a couple paychecks from the job I just started, I'm heading back to the parts store to determine if in fact either some Ford rotors, or Jeep rotors will indeed bolt up and work correctly. Otherwise, looks like brake rotors are going to be a pricy investment!!

<font color=green>1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
Dana 44 Front & Rear</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode