Upgrading axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2000, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Upgrading axles?

I want to upgrade my dana 30 front and maybe my dana 44 rear on my 73 Scout II. I also want to go to internal front hubs. Has anyone installed a chevy or jeep dana 44 front axle under a scout II? How did you work out the steering? What about the rear? Is there a dana 60 or something out there that is close in size that doen't need to be cut down? I'm hoping to keep this a low buck project. I already have a 4" lift. Would going spring over that be to
crazy. I'm making a trail machine that doesn't need to be trailered to the trails. Help...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2000, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Upgrading axles?

You should find an 1975 and up Scout and remove the front dana 44 and swap that under your 1973. Then order a pair of CJ5 hub conversion kit produced by Warn, from your local 4x4 shop and you can kit new bearing and seals if you want. If you really want it bulletproof buy a set of Warn dana 44 axles that have a lifetime warrenty. These axles are as strong as stock dana 60 axles. This would be the best way to do this, so that you don't lose ground clearence by going to a front dana 60. If you really are going extreme i would go to a dana 60 rearend, if you are planning on tires 35" and up. Go to Jim Weed's page at www.off-road.com/~jweed and go to tech tips. The setup I mentioned above is working great on my Scout II. A spring over is not that crazy if you are a very good welder and patience then go for it. but a 4" inch lift with longer shackles and a small body lift will work just as well. On my Scout for example I run a spring under up front with reverse shackles and a spring over in rear with bronco shackles. If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just wondering why buy the Jeep hub conversion if you swap out the Dana 30 for a Dana 44? Don't the 44's already have internal hubs? Or are you talking about putting hubs on the rear 44? It's funny to see somebody asking about putting a Jeep 44 under a Scout when all of the CJ owners want to put Scout 44's on thier CJs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, ih frontends don't have internally spline hubs. I only call it a CJ kit is that is what Warn calls it they did not put on that it works for a IH as well since they have the same bolt pattern. The 30 and 44 outer stub axles are the same to allow you to use the kit. This kit improves the front ih 44. If you know about the 6 hub bolts on the ih hubs that is a weak point in the front end and if you do rough wheeling the hub tends to explode. With this kit it eliminates the 6 bolt hub for a one piece hub like the chevy and ford. This kit also comes with new premium warn locking hubs. A added plus is that the hub internally spline so you have more solid contact with you lock your hubs in 4 wheel drive. So with this upgrade you know longer have to worry about exploding locking hubs and having those six bolts back out and break on you while your on the trail. They are waterproof these hubs so water can't enter to destroy the bearings. This is a great buy if you want to bulletproof your frontend for hardcore 4 wheeling.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I appreciate the inputs IHPete. I have located a IH scout II 44 with my 373 axle ratio, as well as the master cylinder and vacuum booster
and lines. I will go to an internal hub eventually. Club members have been saying we can use a ford/chevy hub rotor combo on my ih 44
to get the internal hub set up. Maybe even cheaper than the warn setup. For now I'll at least have front discs and I won't have to buy a new Ring
& pinion. What about twisting the the front axle to gain caster and some pinion angle. I heard that it rides better and is worth the
$220.00 cost? Keep the good ideas flowin.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the clarification IH Pete. I guess I assumed that IH 44's already were internal. It pays to visit the other (I have a CJ) boards to learn more! An alternative to the Warn kit is to use Ford rotors and hubs which allows the same bolt pattern to be retained. I don't know which setup is more cost effective though.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 04:18 PM

If you use the Chevy stub-shaft (outer axle shaft) you can start thinking about internal conversion with stock parts.

You'd want to use your SII D30 knuckle, the Chevy D44 spindle, the Chevy D44 caliper bracket and caliper (bonus: longer brake lines are now an off-the-shelf item), and Ford F150 hubs and rotors with the Chevy wheel bearings.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 04:21 PM

I put a Dana 44 front axle from a '74 Chevy 1/2T 4x4 pickup under my ScoutII, SOA style.

I used a combination of parts from http://www.GryphinRacing.com and TriCounty Gear to build a custom high-clearance cross-over steering setup to the top of the passenger side knuckle.

I used 1990 F150 hubs n' rotors on the Chevy spindles to get my 5 on 5.5 back.

I used a Travelall D44 rear end to match the front. The '60 was too much weight, and I already had the '44.

I put a good amount of air under all 4 tires on purpose for the first time yesterday and it's held up. Rides pretty smooth - even when it lands.

OTOH, the full width axles sure like to throw the mud all over ME when competing in the mud-bog.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/racer/
'77 SII - Gryphin Racing race-prepped 304, 727, 4.89s, 31s, full-width SOA, caged.. 3700lbs..

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Upgrading axles - crossover steering

Tom,
Did you relocate both the drag link and tie rod above the springs, or just the drag link? If both,
how did you connect them - did you go to a wagoneer-style setup (drag link connects to the tie
rod, tie rod ends connect to the steering arms on the knuckles), or the Scout-style (both the
drag link and tie rod connect to the passenger-side steering arm?

Thanks,
Curt

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 04:39 PM

Re: Upgrading axles - crossover steering

>Did you relocate both the drag link and tie rod above the springs, or just the drag link? If both,
> how did you connect them - did you go to a wagoneer-style setup (drag link connects to the tie
> rod, tie rod ends connect to the steering arms on the knuckles), or the Scout-style (both the
> drag link and tie rod connect to the passenger-side steering arm?

For now, I did JUST the draglink. Since this is a competition vehicle designed to go "fast" (which is a relative term) I don't anticipate smacking the tie-rod, so I left it in the stock location (for a Chevy truck). It was just cheaper that way.

However, John Comer will soon be testing some new steering arms I helped redesign. The arm from TriCounty is too short to get both the tie-rod AND draglink to attach to the passenger knuckle, thus you're stuck with the tie-rod as-is, or tying the draglink into the tie-rod (like you mentioned)

The new passenger side arm is longer with an extra hole for the draglink. The driver's arm is still short, since it only needs the tie-rod mount.

Another reason for using the longer arm - with my current setup, I have lost a good bit of power-assisted steering, but have gained "quick ratio" steering. A fine setup for a full-throttle race rig on 31s.. not so great with 35s and rock-crawling (or, as I learned, 33s and SSII inserts deep in mud when you try to see-saw the wheel back n' forth).

The longer arm should restore near-stock power-assisted (and ratio) steering.

I plan on using the Gryphin arms when I start on my new frame n' running gear for my trail rig..

-Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode