trouble starting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

trouble starting

i have a 79 Scout and I am having trouble starting the vehicle after it warms up. It seems to get the fire but hesitates to turn over. After repeated attempts it finally does but I fear this is flodding the carb and my cause further damage. Any help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: trouble starting

Sounds like it may be the starter solenoid failing when it heats up. When I replaced the starter in my '73 Scout II w/ 304 V8, the starter and solenoid came together. It was cheap but it took two tries to get a good working rebuilt starter. If I had it to do over again I would have put a Delco Remy Starter/solenoid in there. But the second of the cheaper units ($59 as opposed to $89 for Delco) I put in is working fine so far.

There is a procedure on at least a couple of web sites for adding a GM front wheel drive or other starter solenoid in a remote location away from the exhaust manifold. This could do the trick for you, assuming that's the problem.

You might try buying a can of "Circuit Cooler" spray from an electronics store like Radio Shack. After the starter begins acting up, turn the key off and get out and douse the starter solenoid real good with the circuit cooler spray for about 15 seconds. This stuff doesn't conduct and won't hurt anything to spray it on liberally. Cool the solenoide down as much as you can. You may see some frost develop for a moment while you're spraying which will condense rather quickly. This is not a problem. Anyway, after cooling off the solenoid turn the key and give it a try. If the starter/solenoid works after you've cooled it off, then you pretty much know with certainty at that point that the solenoid is bad.

Tom McMillion
Waynesboro, VA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 78 Traveler with a 345 that had the same problem.(I live in PHX AZ). My mechanic put in a solenoid on the front of the firewall near the top of the engine compartment , and it's worked fine since. I think he used a ford pick-up solenoid, but don't tell anybody! Bob Knotts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Scout just started starting hard when warm this weekend, and the problem was an insufficient ground between the engine block and the body, I would definently check this out and suggest that the cable be the same size as your battery cable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode