78 Traveller carb and intake manifolds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-1999, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

78 Traveller carb and intake manifolds

I'm getting ready to try to get my Scout back into operation. One problem I have is the Carb. It has the stock one, but it has been worked on by someone besides me who didnb't know what he was doing. Is there a better two barrel to use? List number#? If I go to a four bar., which manifold would be best for low and mid-range torque, and economy (in a Scout??!!!). What four barrel carb. I'm not going to do this right away, but soon. I also have to get the heads rebuilt and the 727 worked over too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 78 Traveller carb and intake manifolds

Your carb is probably the Holley 2210C. There is also the Holley 2300 that is available in 350 cfm and 500cfm. 4-barrel manifolds available are a square bore and a spread bore. You want the latter. Spreadbore carbs available are Carter Thermoquad(TQ), the Rochester Quadrajet(Q-Jet) and a number of Holleys too. The TQ was the stock IH 4-barrel for non-California Scouts. There is a really great write-up on ScoutII's in the December issue of 4X4 Power mag. You should also check out the links in this web site like the Binder Bulletin and the IHC WebRing. DougS '78 ScoutII. [email protected]

Doug S
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 04:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you had the distributer rebuild yet? Orange County Speed and Crome in Orange California did mine, and I got an extra 3mpg just from that.
When you get your trans rebuilt ask them to bring it up to the Barracuda spec's. You'll get a better clutch and 4 planetary gears insted
of 3. as for the carb.. I'm thinking of using the Holly Pro-injection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard good things about the Edelbrock Performer series (same design as the Carter AFB, I believe). These
fit on the square bore manifold, though the primaries are smaller than the secondaries like a spreadbore - which
should help fuel mileage (depending on your driving habits).

Later,
Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode