Maniacal Mechanic - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 02:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maniacal Mechanic

It's been my dream of owning a scout since I was a kid, and I finally got up the nerve of buying one 3 weeks ago. It's a beauty. 1975 Scout II. I had a rear main oil seal leak, and a blow head gasket. Being totally mechanically inept, I searched high and low for a scout mechanic. After finding what I thought was a good one, I handed over my keys and said fix her up. That's when the problems started. 1. He said that to do both would run me $1,200. Is that expensive for a Scout? It sounded like it to me. I could use some help on that one. and then the real bummer... He's had it for two weeks and hasn't finished working on it yet! Anyone know of a mechanic who is "scout minded" and live in or around the Sacramento area? Help! My mechanic has had my car longer than I have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Maniacal Mechanic

I'd suggest getting a hold of someone with Scouts West. You can link to them through another outstanding source Binderbulletin.org. Between those two groups you should have no problem finding a 'Scout friendly' mechanic. As for the work they say they need to do, it is fairly labor intensive. Specifically, the rear main engine seal requires either dropping the transmission or lifting the engine to replace it. The part is only about $15-20, but if it's bad, it'll need to be replaced. Your engine won't hold oil without it. Incidentally, I've heard there's a better quality rear main seal available through the 'Scout Light Line' vendors, who are also accessible via Binder Bulletin. If you need specific phone numbers, or can't find what I'm talking about let me know. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode