Scout lift and spring-over - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-1999, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout lift and spring-over

We decided to lift our 77scout II. We have 21/2"Rancho springs and putting them on top of axles. Then probably getting 36" tires. The questions we have are: 1.What problems are we getting into with the steering? I already have purchased a chromolley tie-rod (which doesn't look strong enough) 2.The pumpkin is going to need to be twisted for drive-shaft alignment. I intend to have this scout be a dependable rock-crawler in Johnson Valley in So. Cal. I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions or input of any kind. The Scout right at this point is in our shop on floor jacks. The front end is on the work bench ready for prep. to twist the diff. The rear end is done. I'm hoping that this will work out right or I'm going to have to get a lift on my wife's Suburban and I don't want to take on that project!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-1999, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout lift and spring-over

> 1.What problems are we getting into with the steering?
The main problem is bump steer - when the drag link is not level, then the horizontal component of
it's length increases as the suspension compresses. This causes the weels to turn to the right
as the suspension compresses. I did a springover with flat stock springs, and I don't have enough
bump steer to be noticable. With a springover plus 2 1/2" lift springs, it will be worse, though
stiffer springs may help. The only real way (that I'm aware of) to cure the bump steer issue
(and get the tie rod and drag link up away from the rocks too) is to do a crossover steering
conversion. To do this, you swap in knuckles that have a flat spot on top, with bolt-on steering
arms. You can use chevy knuckles, but they have six spindle bolts instead of eight, so you'll
need to go with the chevy spindles. I think IH or ford hubs/rotors fit, so you can keep the
same bolt pattern. If you want to stay with the IH (8 bolt) spindles, then you need to find a pair
of '74/'75 IH 1/2 ton Truck/Travelall knuckles. The steering arms are a custom part that you
can get from places like DynaTrac, Tri-County, etc. Anyway, what all this buys you, is that it
relocates the tie rod and drag link above the springs, and gets them a lot closer to being
level so bump steer is reduced. I haven't actually done this yet, but I've acquired a pair
of '75 150 pickup knuckles and plan to do the conversion in a couple months. If you
decide not to go with crossover steering, then you'll need to fabricate a 'Z' shaped
drag link - this allows the drag link to clear the springs.

>2.The pumpkin is going to need to be twisted for drive-shaft alignment
I would, with that much lift. This will require a CV joint on the transfer case side of
the rear driveshaft to prevent vibration. You'll probably need one on the front
driveshaft too, though not so much because of vibration (you can avoid the
vibration by just not driving in 4wd at high speeds), but because u-joints
probably can't take the angle you'll get at full droop without binding.

Feel free to post with any other questions you may have, and keep
us updated on how your project goes!

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-1999, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Scout lift and spring-over

I have a buddy that I wheel with and he has a SOA Scout with stock CJ springs and the thing is sweet. It flexes like crazy...anyway he went with a custom fabbed Z-shaped drag link and a really REALLY nice steering stabilizer and he reports no bumpsteer and that it rides really well. There are some pics of the Scout on my webpage http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps just click on the jeep link and then on the playin in the mud link. I will try and get some close up pics of it for you next time we go on a trail ride.

absolutjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode