IH motor info. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IH motor info.

I have heard that the IH 345 is just a stroked 304 and the 392 merely a bored 345. In theory one could make a 304 a 392 right? If anyone has done this or knows about doing this let me know what complications there were and exactly what parts you need to use to make it work and also and est. cost. I have a 304 that is ready to rebuild and would just upgrade as I do it if it was easy enough. Thank You

Scott Crothers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: IH motor info.

A couple of things:
The deck height is different between the 304 and the 345/392, so you can't use a 345/392 crank in a 304 (unless you
somehow went with shorter piston rods). The 345 and 392 share the same stroke. I recall hearing someone claim
they tried to bore a 345 into a 392 said he hit the water jacket before he got there - I don't remember who I heard
this from, so I can't confirm it.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've known someone to bore a 345 out to 60 over, now if that equal a 392 I don't know but I think that would be about as far as I would go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-1999, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

304s and 345s have a bore of 3 7/8", and a 392 has a bore of 4 1/8, so you'd have to bore .250 over to make a
392 out of a 345.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-1999, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recently read an article or reply that said that there is not enough metal in the 345 cyl walls to bore out to the 392 bore. It said some one tried it and ran out of metal. I think I'd go real slow in experimenting. Bob K in PHX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode