A new Scout 80 owner with some questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A new Scout 80 owner with some questions.

Howdy!

Yesterday I purchased a IH Scout 80 and its quite the beast.

I have a dumb question to ask to start things out and get people lauging at me ;-)

This is my first 4 Wheel Drive vehicle, I've only had two wheel drive manual transmissions before now, and suddenly I have a extra two sticks!

Can someone please explain or diagram what the other sticks do, and what configuration I should use for my normal day to day driving?

On the drive home I seemed to top out at about 40mph on flat road but going up hills I was able to go faster, maybe 45, I'm guessing I'm in the wrong gearing or something similar.

The Prior Owner bought it a couple months back, drove it home and let it sit outside in the weather where it collected a bunch of junk inside the cabin with the roof off for about Seven months without using it, He didnt know what the other sticks did.

The engine sounds great, the brakes work poorly, the E-Brake doesnt pull out at all, The passenger side door wont open from the outside and there's no brake lights but thats all I've found wrong with it sofar, Quite a find for my first 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Journeyman

Re: A new Scout 80 owner with some questions.

Hmmm....Let me see if I can remember this correctly. (It's been awhile since I owned twin stick trns case). I beleieve that the taller if the two is the high low for the t-case,(this is where you get your drive ranges for four wheeling). The smaller of the two sticks operates the front axle. I believe it's forward for four wheel drive and back for two wheel. The best way to see if it's right is to push the stick forward and see if the drive shaft turns....make sure you have the hubs unlocked so as to make sure the tires are not turning the front drive shaft. As for you not getting over 40 mph going down the road,....sounds like it might be in low range. Try moving the position of the high - low stick on your t-case back and forth....you will notice a big difference in speed and attitude from high and low range. Also, the sick that operates the high and low for the t-case has three possitions, high,... neutral,...low. That will be a dead give away for which stick is which. Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A new Scout 80 owner with some questions.

Thanks for the help!

I've now obtained speeds in excess of 55mph in the scout in a quick test run (I dont have a valid license yet so I need to be careful with my testing till I get a tag later in the week) and it felt like I still had power to spare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode