Axle markings/part numbers, where located? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle markings/part numbers, where located?

I am trying to find where the axles are marked so I can tell what I have front and rear...where do I find these markings? (Have 76 terra)

Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Journeyman

Re: Axle markings/part numbers, where located?

If you are looking at the diff cover look foa a 44 cast into the webbing on the lower right hand side of the axle housing if I remember correctly. And that will be on both axles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been unable to locate any markings on the axles [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] There are no tags, no serial number that I can find, and no stampings (the axles and pumkins are pretty coated, tried cleaning with brush and brake cleaner where I suspected numbers, but no luck). Any other way to find out??

Thank you,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 11:28 PM

Go to POR and look in the axle id section . Then compare to your axles . You at least have a 44 rear , probably the front is a 44 or 30 . Post pics of them and we can identify them for you .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for the pointer to axle identification guide! From what I can tell, I have dana 44's front and rear (the front pumpkin is identicle to the rear, and both look like picture of dana 44 in identification guide). I attached a picture of the rear diff (guess I can only attach one file) so you guys can tell me if I am wrong about this. The front pumpkin looks the same. I will post picture of front on another reply to this post.

My rear diff was low on fluid, so added 80W-90. I did not know if I had a limited slip or not (I kinda thought I did not)so did not add any additive. When backing the sucker up on some gravel, the drive wheel started to slip and to my surprise, the other kicked in and I spun both. I don't know which I have (Trak-loc or Power-loc) and if both need additive, or just one of the types. Any suggestions?

I do need to take the cover off and put in a new seal (and new pinion seal, and new wheel end seals [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]...another subject for which I will start another post ), so I can get a good look inside...what am I looking for to tell the difference?

Thankyou!

-Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1145525-Rear_diff.JPG (63.2 KB, 48 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is picture of front diff.

-Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1145526-Front_diff.JPG (62.0 KB, 58 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 10:44 PM

You can get the additive from Randys ring and pinion for about 8.00 .It really makes a difference . And yup those look like 44s to me .
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 10:45 PM

Most likely a trac loc also ....I helped rebuild one today with new clutches . Pretty easy and it tightened it up like new .
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

False alarm on limited slip diff. Pulled the cover to start work on re-seal and found a standard diff.

-Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode