International Truck Lift for 73' - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

International Truck Lift for 73\'

I have finally succeeded in lifting my truck. It took me a while but with a little bit of work and a friend I did it.

The total lift is around 5 inches or so... maybe more

For the front

I went to the junkyard and found an old 2 wheel drive Dodge van with a solid axle type suspension with super arched springs. When I installed the springs the way they were I thought my truck would sit really high, but I underestimated the weight factor of a 3/4 ton truck with a 392. This in effect made my truck sit lower. Next what I did was disassemble both spring packs from the dodge van and start mix and matching leaves from my old pack. Next I installed the springs with my 8" long (braced) shackles. and found that the shackles hit the frame. Fortunately International used the same frame for 2wd and 4wd trucks so all I had to do was grind off 8 rivets and move the shackle hanger back to the second position to complete my lift for the front anyway. Now I need longer brake lines which I just need to install, and to extend my drag ling and put a heim joint on the knuckle end for a better angle for steering.

Rear lift...

I installed custom machined 5.5" tall solid alluminum blocks, and a shackle reversal with the stock hardware. I then needed a longer brake line which fortunately a Scout II 4" extended line worked with a couple line adapters.

Now for opinions, questions, or comments from the peanut gallery.

P.S. I bolted all shackle hangers back in place with brand new grade 8 3/8 bolts with washers on both sides of the frame, lock washers and nylock nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode