Transfer case swap from NP 205 to Dana 20? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transfer case swap from NP 205 to Dana 20?

What is everybody's opinion on me doing this. I am tempted to but the one thing that concerns me is the strength of the Dana 20 behind my 392. It is not the healthiest engine in the world but it is in a 3/4 ton truck with 38's. Also my freind managed to destroy his in his Wagoneer with a 360 and 33's.

The main reason why I would go to the Dana 20 is for the better low range.

I also was considering that since my truck is a divorced transfercase making a double transfer case setup involving the dana 20. I can almost get away with simply a u-joint between the output of the 20 and the input of the 205 and backing them together that way. Making mounts for the transfer cases is not a problem either. I am still in high school and have access to a very competant metals shop where I could create just about anything.

I just want an idea of whether or not to have just a Dana 20, both the 20 and 205, or just stick with what I have. My dad thinks I am an idiot for thinking about the double idea, just wondering what everybody else thinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 02:34 AM
HLB3

Re: Transfer case swap from NP 205 to Dana 20?

I think I would stick with the 205, you are going to be losing A LOT of strength, and with a 392 and 38's you will need all the strength you can get. If you do want to double up the cases, I would go with 2 205's or your 205 and and an old 202.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Aprentice

Definitely stick with the 205. It has a 1.96 ratio and the D20 is a 2:1. In my opinion there isnt enough difference to justify the downgrade in strength.

If you want to do a double t-case setup, the best thing would be to find a ford divorced case with the driverside drop. The reason is because if you have a pass. side drop it will get in the way of the driveshaft. Plus if you wanted to, you could use the front t-case output to run a pto with some fabrication to adapt it.

You would have to have some sort of slip yoke between the two case or you will break parts with just a ujoint.

Running dual t-cases is not a crazy idea. There are many people doing that type of setup. Another popular option, if you can afford it, is an Offroad Design doubler. I believe he has some sort of divorced type setup, but I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I didn't realize the reduction of the D20. I am just trying to figure a cheap way to accomplish a dual setup. I am high school student that is just trying to make somthing work that would be cool.
The reason I was just going to use one U-joint was because with the married D20 I didn't realize how far back it would go from the tranny. How skinny is a married 205 compared to a D20? And is there one that will bolt up to a TQ727

Now my question is has anybody rigged up a dual transfer case setup on a divorced transfer case truck? And was it possibly on an International?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode