A Good IH - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:03 PM
LowGearMonster

A Good IH

How much would a good IH cost? And also, what's the specs for these vehicles as far as running gear and power plant. I know hardly anything of the Scouts and would like to know a lot more. They may be a consideration when I go hunting for my rig. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A Good IH

Im a big scout fan I have 4 you could probaly get a good one for around 2000-3000 dollars depending on your location. International built their own engines the 345 and 304 v8 were most common both are very solid engines. Scouts were also availble with a commanche six cylinder and Nissan deisel and an International 4 cylinder all of the engines are solid and powerful except the 4 I dont know much about it. Scouts were availble with auto and manual trannys the auto was a Chrysler 727 which trust me is a very heacy duty tranny. The manuals were 4 speeds with a 3 speed around too but I dont know much about it. The 4 speeds were Borg warners T18,T19,t19A, all three were excellent trannys but are hard to find now. The three speeds were built by IH so they are probaly well built. The tranfers cases were Dana 300 and dana 20 both good transfers. Scouts came with Dana 30 front axles and dana 44 back axles til 1974 when both front and back were danna 44. Scouts were very well built vehicles but they are big time rust magnets other than that the frame and running hardly ever go bad unless it was seriously abused I have a scout forsale for 500 bucks but it is far from good shape the floor is rotted out check ebay there are always scouts on auction for a good deal. "Scout the America others pass by"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check into "the binder bulletin". They have a classified, links to other Ih sites, and more IH info than you can shake a stick at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with newdad: check "the binder bulletin"
Binder Bulletin
They have a great Tech Library. Check out the FAQs.
Here's a link to SSS Inc's Value Guide (it's a bit old but worth checking out):
SSS IH Value Guide
Happy Hunting!
*Peace*
78 Traveler 345/727/TC-143
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode