Opinions needed on tires... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:45 PM
HLB3

Opinions needed on tires...

Hey all, I am getting fairly close to getting tires for my IH. Right ow I have it narrowed down to 34x10.50r16 Swamper LTB's or Q78x16 Bias-ply Buckshots. As of now I am leaning towards the LTB's mainly because of the price. I would like to hear some opinions on the tires, I know about the Buckshots and have seen them in action, but I haven't heard a lot about the LTB's.

Also, I have 4.10's in the axles (D44/14-bolt from a '75 Chevy K20) and I am runnin a 392/727/NP202 for the drivetrain, I know it will spin the 34's without a problem, but do you think it can spin the 36's alright? Also you think a D44 with OEM shafts and spicer 760 u-joints would hold up to 36's and the torque from the 392? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Opinions needed on tires...

I think 36's would work just fine for you.

I run 35's with 4.09's and a T-19/D-20 and have no problem spinning the tires.

Tsm1mt runs 36's with a stock scout d-44 front and hasn't busted a u-joint or shaft yet, or, at least he hasn't bragged about it [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I haven't broken anything on my d-44 front either, but I think I am easier on my drivetrain than tom is [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Aprentice

The D44 might be ok if you go easy on the gas. 36 in. is usually the limit on a fullsize with a D44. It also depends on what kind of wheelin you do. Only way to really find out is to try it and see. If it breaks then you can upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 11:11 PM
HLB3

I mostly run mud bogs and muddy trails since that is about all we have up here in WA, I do find some rocks to play on every once in a while though.

Iím usually pretty easy on the gas, well most of the time. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Once I am done it will be locked front and rear (rear is already done), so I donít think I will have to get on the gas too much.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 01:14 PM

Haven't (knock on wood) broken any front end parts since going to the 36s..

But I DID frag two front axle shafts (one per side), one Lockright, and about 3 locking hubs when I was running 33s.. half of that damage happened with the original 196, before the 304.. and before the current built 345.

But built 345/36s.. so far so good. I do weld my U-joints to the axle shafts now though.

I broke a rear axle since going to 36s..

I'm going to run 31s on my '74 200 pickup - with a Dana 60 front and RA-15 rear behind a built 406cid 392/4spd. Think I'll have any problems with breakage?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 05:42 PM
HLB3

Well, I think I am going to go with the 36's and see what happens, thanks for all of the feed back!

tsm1mt, I don't think you will have too many problems with breakage with the 31's, but one thing about the RA-15, it only has 17 spline shafts if I remember right. A friend of my dad's has a old IH he uses for a tow rig that has RA-15 and he has stripped the splines off of 3 shafts so far, he is going to be switching to a 14-bolt pretty soon. That is one reason I pulled my RA-15 out of my truck and put in a 14-bolt, plus I checked and they don't make any parts (ring & pinion sets, shafts, so on...) for it, so stuff has to be found in a wreckin yard.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I agree that Tom should put a 14 bolt under the travelette. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 02:09 PM

Told ya.. I have a Farmall to do the plowing with, I don't need to do it with my tow-rig. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 02:12 PM

I haven't heard of too many folks breaking the 1.5+" shafts in the RA-15.. good to know.

I know new parts are hard to come by / don't exist.. fortunately, they seem to last "forever". :-)

The RA15 is in my tow rig, primarily a pavement pounder. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess when the day comes that I have to do something with the RA-15, I'll end up with a lowly 14-bolt.. or maybe a Dana 70.

I'll worry about it when I get there, I guess.

In the meantime, since it ain't broke..

Maybe I should pull a shaft and get some measurements have some some spares made.. or use my currents for spares.

Dutchman or Moser'll build one to my specs cheap enough.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>Told ya.. I have a Farmall to do the plowing with, I don't need to do it with my tow-rig

We'll see how much of a plow I have when I shave my 14 bolt. It will probably have more ground clearance then that RA-15. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Not to mention the fact that it has those carrier adjust screws so I don't have to worry about those stupid carrier shims anymore. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also, you should be able to get axle shafts in the 1.6" diameter area, speaking of that, I really need to have some spares made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode