Top removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Top removal

I'd appreciate any advise on removing the full size hard-top on my '72 Scout II. I know which screws come out and how it theoretically comes off but is it a 2 man job or 4 or what? Where does the dome light wiring unplug? Does the removed top need to be supported in any special way or can it sit on my garage floor for a few months? I've got the half-top and bulkhead I want to install for now any advise on doing this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Aprentice

Re: Top removal

The top is pretty heavy, but me and my dad got mine off and back on. The dome light should uplug on the pass. rear corner. I wouldnt think that leaving it on the floor would hurt it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, there are the bolts along the sides and there are some screws that attach it to the windshield frame too.

3 people really makes it easy but it is doable with 2 and I even managed to swap two tops by myself once. I was able to stand in the bed area under the center of mass of the top and lift it up with the top resting on my back.

Now, I have a platform that I made where I can just lift the top off and support it by some 10' long 2X12's. I don't have any good pics but you can see it in the background of pic #2 here: http://supremebeholder.tripod.com/pics3.htm

You also have to remember when you take your top off that your body might sag in the middle if you have a lot of rust an the rocker panels and the quarter panel areas. You shouldn't tale the top off until you have all or most of the rust fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. I can't quite make out what you built to hold your top Supreme but I do see the top sitting up there in the background. I have a couple other questions for you though. Your rollbar looks just like the one I want. Did you pick it up or was it in your rig when you bought it. Know where I can get one like it?

Did you do the SOA? How's the steering geometry handled? Is just a dropped pitman arm sufficient. I did my Wagoneer and had to get a different knuckle for the pass. side and run my drag link above the springs using a stock pitman arm. Does the pass. spring perch need to be welded to the pumpkin on one side or is it welded to the tube?

Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I think your rig looks great!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is 4 4X4" posts in the ground in about an 8' square. Then I put 2 more 4x4"'s on the top of the posts to make some rails. Then I just slide the 2X10's on top of those rails and wedge them under the top of the scout.

The rollbar is a smittybuilt, I got it at 4 wheel parts wholesalers. I don't like how the base of the main hoop mounts in front of the step to the bed. If I did it again, I would make my own or get a D and C kit: http://www.dandcextreme.com

I did my SOA, it was pretty involved. I ground the housing of the pumpkin flat and then welded a pertch on there. I made my own Z-draglink out of some " steel but that was rather frowned upon by most people who got a good look at it. I should do crossover steering and make the draglink go above the springs but that will require a new knuckle and I want to go 8-lug full width soon anyway. I wouldn't do a dropped pitman arm because your springs will hit the draglink at full stuff. This is a good write-up on the cut and turn for the SOA: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/twistaxl.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Free Top and Tailgate

I recently sold my 1977 Scout II. The purchaser did not want the top and tailgate. Both have rust but function. Located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to pick them up.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I usually get 2 guys to help remove the top of my scout. As for support I lean it up against my hous with a towel at the top to keep the paint from scracthing havent had a problem yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode