Test for Posi-Traction - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Test for Posi-Traction

Our group owns several Scouts, one of which says it has Posi-Traction yet when we mud it only one of the wheels spin. How can we be sure it is a Posi Traction.

Pics Can be viewed at www.theponi.com specifically under (Two New Scoutiths)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 03:00 AM

Re: Test for Posi-Traction

take the cover off the rear diff.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Test for Posi-Traction

According to my IH manual (CTS-2568Q):

No precise methods of measuring limited slip differential performance are generally available in the field. A functioning unit can be determined by these relatively simple vehicle operational tests. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

1. Place one wheel on good, dry pavement and the other on ice, mud, grease, etc.

2. Gradually open throttle to obtain maximum traction prior to "break-away." The ability to move the vehicle effectively will demonstrate proper performance.

3. If extremely slick surfaces such as ice or grease are used, some question may exist as to proper performance at step 2. In these extreme cases a properly performing limited slip differential will provide greater "pulling power" by lightly applying the parking brake.

So sayeth IH. Now since I just bought a Scout II which has a glovebox sticker claiming a rear diff. with a Powr-Lok, I too wanted to test for proper operation. After 30+ years even if the mechanism is visually confirmed who knows if it's working, right? So I tested mine in a similar fashion as above and I noticed that on a damp dirt road with the brake lightly engaged and the motor slightly revved, I would have power to both wheels as shown by the nice marks I left. I heard that jacking up one rear wheel and leaving the other in contact with the ground and manually trying to spin the tire and the inability to spin it would indicate that the mechanism is engaging. Seems to make sense since there are warnings about operating the vehicle in gear with only one tire elevated lest you run over someone. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode