engine tapping - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine tapping

I recently bought a 79 Scout II w/ a 345. It is the coolest vehicle I have ever owned hands down but the engine makes a noticeable tap when I let off the gas and when it is warming up. It seems to completely go away when the engine is warmed up. I have been told so many different things that I don't know what to believe - bad lifters, worn cams, valves, and even to use 15W oil. There is 125,ooo miles on the engine. Has anybody else had the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:55 AM

Re: engine tapping

Could be a lifter that needs a little extra time to pump up.. no biggie.

Could be piston slap, and when it warms up the piston expands and runs tight enough to not slap when warm.. again, not really a big deal.

Shot cam bearings usually means "lifter tick" all the time.. or under higher rpm when hot OR cold..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Journeyman

Re: engine tapping

I have to agree with the other comment....I believe it's a tired lifter. That really is no big deal. I own a 77 Traveller that does the same thing. I just recently pulled the original motor out that I believe had roughly 207000 on it.I pulled the motor only because it was pumping oil the way it should any more. So...don't worry about the lifter tick when you start it up. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your new scout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help!

That takes a load off my mind if it you guys think it's not a big deal. P.S. Do your scout engines make a sort of "whistle" when at cruising speed w/ your foot on the accelerator? Does this have something to do w/ the ports?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 12:19 PM

Re: Thanks for the help!

If it whistles, someone probably removed the air-injection from the heads.. that'll make it chirp.

Mine don't have this feature - either they're non-AIR motors, or I ported the exhaust ports and did away with the AIR injection. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Thanks for the help!

My 1973 Ih scout makes the whistle and tap been that way for a year no problem with the motor runs great tons of power I was told that the whistle is the timing gears because IH engines have no chains I dont know if that makes any sense but I wouldnt worry about. JUst drive and if your engine blows up let me know I have extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode