1979 Scout II Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 04:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1979 Scout II Questions

Hi there!! I am new to this site and I have a few questions about my Scout I recently bought. I have a 345 motor with the original Holley Carb. The model number on the carb says it is a Holley 6828. However, the service manual does not show this model number.. Also, the motor itself seems old and tired. I want to start a modest restoration on the Scout beginning with the mechanicals. I have been considering a Chevy conversion and am seeking advice on pursuing this option. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you..
Geoff

1979 Scout II -- 345 with 727 3speed tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Aprentice

Re: 1979 Scout II Questions

Stay with the IH engine. It may cost more to rebuild, but they can easily go 300k+ miles without being rebuilt. They also have good low end power and decent midrange. The only reason I had to rebuild mine was because it had a busted ring that scratched up the cylinder wall. Other than that everything else looked almost brand new. I have no idea on the mileage, but I'm sure it was up there pretty good. If you want more power, put a little bigger cam in it and find a 4bbl. intake and get a good carb. If you need more persuasion, just look at the internals of an IH engine versus a Chevy; there isn't much comparison. Don't get me wrong, I like Chevys too and they're good, but I would stay with the IH engine that you already have.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Journeyman

Re: 1979 Scout II Questions

About the carb.....You won't find it in the book you are looking in if it's the chilton manual for scouts. That manual was for the old scout 800's and early scoutII's. Those had a diff holly carb on them(more traditional looking) The one you have on your's is suppose to be a better mileage carb. I have one on my Traveller. As for the engine......Keep it red....Chevy's are nice and parts are cheaper....but the IH motor will never let you down. Hope this helps...Godd luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode