345 heads on a 392 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

345 heads on a 392

I think I am either going to rebuild the current heads on my 392, or install some off of a 345. Yes for starters my engine is the old style with tubes going to each head, but I was wondering what anybody else thought of doing this. I am considering the heads from a 345 because I don't think they will have to be rebuilt, and that I can get them for free. The only drawback to using these heads is I don't know if they are off of a 345 or a 304. Is there any difference between the two? Secondly, if I install the heads to get higher compression, will everything bolt up the same IE. intake manifold, exaust manifold, to block etc...

I would really like to know considering the heads are being brought to me tomorrow. I am tired of sticking valves so somthing has to be done. I am going to have the heads I am recieving magnafluxed to see if they are cracked, and if they aren't and if the consensus is that it will bolt up then in they will go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:22 PM

Re: 345 heads on a 392

304 heads have a square intake port, 345 heads have a slotted (rectangular) intake port.

304 heads won't *correctly* bolt up to your intake.

Otherwise it's a bolt on affair.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Then does that mean that in theory if I had a 304 intake I could use 304 heads on the 392 block?
That could be interesting, a 392 with a 2 bbl carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Journeyman

The 304/266 are narrower than the 345/392 blocks.....the heads might fit...but you won't be able to get the intake manifold won't fit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:36 PM

Garscout beat me to it.

The heads bolt up (to a pre-IC 392) but the intake is too narrow to reach the heads, and if you put a 345/392 intake on, the big slotted port intake mis-matches the square-port 304 heads.

I've run a 2bbl 392 with a Holley 2210 on it before.. got my Travelall w/o an intake.. had an extra 2bbl 345 intake and a junk carb lying around.. worked fine for over a year until I found a better IC392 and ThermoQuad from a '74 and installed it.

I traded away the pre-IC block. I kept all three IC392s though. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode