v8 scout gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

v8 scout gas mileage

hi to all, i send from italy: now i drive a 85 nissan patrol turbo diesel, the nissan truck with the same engine of the diesel scout... but i like v8 sound and scout style.. the problem in my country is the high gasoline cost: 1 dollar for a single litre... before i search a v8 powered scout i would like to know how much is the gas mileage of that car... (better in term of Km for a litre)

thanks and.... stop war wherever in the world...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: v8 scout gas mileage

I manage 12-13 mi/gal (about 5-6 km/l) with my 345ci V8 powered scout at 65 mph (105 kmh) on the highway. You might get better results with a 304ci V8 scout. There were also some I6 scouts that used an AMC 258ci engine that can get good mileage too. I am skeptical of anyone who says that they can get more than 17 mi/gal (8 km/l) with a 304 or 345 powered scout.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks to supremebeholder.. another question: for the gas mileage task, it's better a manual gear car... or not? in my country all cars and trucks are manual gear.. so we don't like very mutch automatic shift... there were manual scouts v8 powered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Aprentice

I only really tried to calculate my MPG one time and I think I was averaging about 12 or 13. I have heard of people getting about 15 mpg. Fuel injection would also help out, might be kinda expensive at first but help out in the long run, especially if your gas prices are real high. I have heard of people running the Holley projection with good results. I want to try to adapt a Chevy TBI to my 345.

A manual tranny should help you out too. There is no slipping like the torque converter on an automatic. Plus a manual will usually last a lot longer.

You might want to subscribe to the IHC Digest. It's a mailing list, kinda like a forum.

If you want to join send a message to [email protected] with subscribe ihc-digest (groups several messages into one email) or subscribe ihc (beware, there are usually 30+ emails in one day) in the body of the message. Dont worry about the subject line. There are several guys on there that know their stuff and are really cool.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There were manual transmissions put behind just about everything International produced. The problem is finding one with a manual transmission. I know that the trucks and travel all's had a 4 speed manual, but I have yet to see a scout with a manual and a V-8, but there has to be one out there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Aprentice

Mine has the T18 4 spd and there is another Scout in my home town that has a 3 spd. There are plenty out there, you just have to look for em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode