jeep guy has Scout II questions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeep guy has Scout II questions?

Ok folks

I'm from the jeep swb board, ahve a TJ, love it,yadda yadda

There is a beutiful brown '82 scout II turbo diesel for sale outside of town, 51000 miles, 4400 bucks.

looks in great shape.

The question, i have two buddies whom own landscaping service, they want to get into snow plowing this winter, I tell them they need this truck, they ask around, somnebodyt says dodge sucks, somebody says chevy or ford, butin two weekes of asking everyone no one seems to disagree with me in that the scouts small size and tanklike build would make a perfect plow truck. They worry about availabity of parts and of a plow mounting bracket, they got a deal on a plow, it's a three year old western can they do it.

So either give me ammo to talk them into it or give me ammo to talk them out of it and park it in front of my house.

Thanks a bunch

Pauly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: jeep guy has Scout II questions?

Dunno if this will make you happy or sad, but I think I would pass on this one as a plow truck, for several reasons. First, the Nissan diesel likely has enough power to push snow, but it's a manual trans. Much nicer to plow with an automatic, and an auto behind the Diesel is totally gutless if you can even find one to install. Second, the diesel comes with something like a 37 amp Hitachi alternator. That plow will like having more juice than that, guaranteed. Fitting anything else is a chore, because the alternator is coupled with a vacuum pump (to power the brake booster) and is plumbed with oil lines feeding it. Guys have used Delco alternators and either gone with hydro boost brakes or a GM electric vacuum pump, but again it's more work. Plus, a plow truck means cold weather- and the Nissan Diesel isn't a great cold weather starter. You glow the snot out of it, and it still smokes up the neighborhood when it catches. A block heater helps, but again is a PITA to remember to plug in and unplug. All in all, a Scout is a great plow truck, but I would get one with a gas engine (304 or 345) and an automatic. Cheaper to get parts, more power, and a lot nicer plowing experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode