a new intake? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 11:42 AM
bronco351c

a new intake?

can anyone help me find a new intake manifold for my friend?. its a '79 345. i have already checked out the main stores like jegs and stuff but no luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: a new intake?

What do you mean by a "new" intake? What's wrong with his current intake? I haven't seen too many fail..

For his 345, there are 3 main varieties of intakes.

Stock cast iron 2bbl.

Stock cast iron square-bore 4bbl

Stock cast iron spread-bore 4bbl.

You may find EGR vs non-EGR versions, and some minor changes from year to year, but basically those are it.

Pick one from the junkyard, or an IH Vendor (see http://www.binderbulletin.org under Vendors)

Jegs, Summit, etc. will just laugh at you. :-)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:07 PM
bronco351c

he wants something after market and aluminum you know like a preformer or along those lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:30 PM

Ahh.. well, they (for all intents and purposes) don't exist.

They wouldn't really do much other than shed a couple pounds off the intake and a lot of dollars from his wallet.

The stock intakes work fine for stock to wild IH SV engines.

My 304 needs more than a 2bbl.. but it's far far from stock. The 500cfm 2bbl chokes at about 5300rpm, so I'm customizing a 2bbl intake to take a 600cfm square-bore Holley. I want to see the other side of 6000rpm.

The stock intakes are all "air gap" as the aftermarket likes to call 'em. You can get a cooler intake charge by running the LPG intake gaskets which block off the exhaust cross-over under the intake.

Granted, they're all dual plane.. but the stock cam runs out of air about the same time the valves float.. around 4400-4500rpm. Even with a hotter cam, the exhaust ports are restrictive and need ported just to get 'em to breathe halfway well.. so a single-plane would just make the engine want to run at redline (3800rpm for the 345) all the time - nothing higher, and nothing lower.

Sure, the stock intake isn't aluminum bling-bling.. but I can powder-coat it "chrome".. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:24 PM
bronco351c

hey thanks alot ill pass on the info to him. it kinda sucks that no one makes any. oh well should have gotten a bronco. lol j/k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode