Need Info On International Pickup??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 06:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Info On International Pickup???

Hey Guys

An uncle of mine has an Internation pickup that he is selling for short money and i was thinking of getting it.

It is a 75 International 1200 (or something like that) and is in really good shape.

As far as i can tell it has

-Stock V8
-D60 Rear
-D44 Front
-Auto Trans (unsure of the tcase)
-Factory SOA

I was wondering if anyone could provide some more into as to what this thing is and if it is a decent rig, what tcase it has, are the International V8's any good, etc.....

Any info is appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Info On International Pickup???

What is it? Is it a 1975, or is it a 1200 series? The 1200 series is pre-1975 and the 200 is 75'. If it is the same as mine (assuming 3/4 ton) probably not dana 44 or 60. International was notorious for using any parts they could get, so it just depended on who they got their parts from at the exact time that truck was made. My axles are some FA-somthin' or other, but seem to be pretty stout. The tranny is a torqflite 727, doesn't seem to be a bad tranny for me anyway. The transfer case is a divorce mounted NP205 which is a very stout T-case. The only shortcomings I have really found in my truck (besides my own stupidity at times) is that replacement parts are just about every time have to be ordered in, and the fact that there is no lift kit made for these trucks. I have found though, that you can use 70's era 3/4 ton Dodge springs will work, but you will have to move your shackle mount back in to the other existing spot. Then you will have to play with the numbers on the lift springs to get the desired amount. Dodge springs are slightly negative arch, International springs have a slight positive arch, so really doing an add a leaf isn't going to give you as much as it would if you were doing it to a negative arched spring.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi There

>>>>>>It is a 1975 200 Series 3/4 Ton (just checked)
*****What is it? Is it a 1975, or is it a 1200 series? The 1200 series is pre-1975 and the 200 is 75'.

>>>>>If it is the same as mine (assuming 3/4 ton) probably not dana 44 or 60. International was notorious for using any parts they could get, so it just depended on who they got their parts from at the exact time that truck was made. My axles are some FA-somthin' or other, but seem to be pretty stout.
******I have been around a lot of axles and they sure as heck look like a d44 and a d60 to me. Are they look alikes? or are the internals different?? How can i tell?

Thanks

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really can't tell if it is a D44 or not without exploring a little. Actually now that I think of it, there should be a stamp somewhere on the axle housing. Where exactly I don't know but it is there somewhere. There should also be a tag on the diff cover (if it is there anymore) saying somthing about your axle.
What you can do (and is what I did) was take out one of the front bearings (inner and outer) and same with the rear on just one side, take them to your local auto parts store and have them look at what those bearings went in to. My rear axle had the same bearings as four different other ones so I had a one in four chance of knowing what my rear axle is. I think that is about the easiest way to do. My front axle looks a lot like a D44, but it is different. One of the hugest differences is that mine is a closed knuckle drum brake set up. I think D44's were all open knuckle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 04:06 PM
HLB3

BostonMangler, you DO have a 44 front/60 rear. Trashman is right about the trucks having an FA axle code, but all the FA means is Front Axle, the rear axle will have an RA code. International used D-44, D-60, D-70, and a few IH built corperate axles in their trucks. All of the axles were coded either FA-(and a number) for the front and RA-(and a number) for the rear, but the ones that look like Dana's ARE Dana's.

As for the engine, you will either have a 304, 345, or 392, all which are torque monsters! They are reliable, but hard to find a lot of parts for. They are also huge gas hogs.

The tranny is probably a torqueflight 727, the T-case is probably a divorsed NP-205

If you want to make sure what you have, if you open the glove box and flip it all the way out, the original line ticket should be glued to the back of it, that will give all the factory info, there are a few people on the BB that can tell you everything you need to know if you have that line ticket

Trashman, just to let you know, you do have a Dana 44 up front, up until the early 70's there were many closed knuckle D-44's produced, not many were used after about '72 in anything but IH rigs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well at least I was right about the T-case and tranny. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I have been told that my axles looked like Dana 44's but I really hadn't a clue. Thanks for clearing that up for me too. I will have to take a look at the back of my glovebox tomorrow. After I lift it. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 11:09 PM
HLB3

No problem man, I spent MANY hours researching the all of the codes that International used on their trucks, it is pretty confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode