HELP!!!!!!With 78 Scout 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP!!!!!!With 78 Scout 2

I Have A 78 Scout 2 with Electrical problums.When Driving at nite my lights will flash on and off untill the motor dies,any ideas.It is a 4x4 with a 345,if that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: HELP!!!!!!With 78 Scout 2

How's your ammeter / altmeter gauge doing when this happens?

Pop the hood and walk around to the passenger side. On the firewall, just towards the center of the rig, inboard from the heater box are two big electrical connectors - one is above the other.

I believe the lower one is the "engine" bulkhead connector. Verify this by seeing if any of the wires from this connector run to the coil or alternator.

This connector fails frequently.

It gets hot and melts. Sometimes you can just "wiggle" the connector and it'll help. Other times you can tear it apart, clean it, apply dielectric grease, and put it all back together and it works.

Other times, you replace it entirely with something newer/better.

You might also try something like a zip-tie to help hold the two halves of the connector together and keep 'em from jiggling loose.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!!!!!!With 78 Scout 2

Thanks for the info i will try that and hopefully thats it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!!!!!!With 78 Scout 2 {{ME TOO}}

I am having a similar probelm. I know the amp meter had corrosion on it but cleaning that fixed it for a bit but it is back. The lights flicker well actually everything flickers. The amp meter guage jumps wildly up to full charge but never to discharge only back to neutral. Oh and of course it is RPM affected too. The more RPMs the more flickering. It is a 345 auto 1979 and the Alternator has checked out fine. I can't remember if I checked on the voltage reading or not.
I will check the firewall connector next.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode