Transmission and Transfercase Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transmission and Transfercase Question

I have a 74 Scout II with 727 Automatic Transmission. The repair shop has told me, that I could tow the Scout in Park. Without hurting the transmission. By placing the transfercase in Neutral. But he was not sure, if all the gears would be lubricated in the transfercase. If not could damage the transfercase.
Does only one know.

Thanks
Riolobo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transmission and Transfercase Question

I was told never to tow 4x4's just have them flat bedded or undo the driveshaft. Mine was towed 2 times and nothing happened to mine yet but who knows how much damage has been done.
Go to the binder bulitin also for scout problems. Both are very good.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:28 AM

It'll work fine, but you need to lock the front hubs to lube the t'case.

If I'm going far, I just pull the rear 'shaft and unlock the front hubs, but for a short flat-tow, lock the hubs, put the t'case in Neutral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought you bought that big trailer and Tíette so that you wouldn't have to flat tow your scouts anymore [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have always removed the driveshaft(s) when I tow, it isn't that hard or time consuming.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:41 PM

I did buy the truck n' trailer so I wouldn't have to flat tow any more.. or change tires.

I still put 10,000 miles on my Scout flat-towing. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I still use the tow-bar from time to time, when I need to move something not-too-far and it's too much trouble to get it on the trailer - I tow-bar'd my racer into the shop after we blew the engine up on Labor Day.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought you just pushed the racer into the shop since I remember that it ran over your foot but maybe that was something else.

Anyway, I would try to rent a tow dolley or full trailer if I had to tow scout again. But if I had a T'ette I could probably easily get away with flat towing a scout II.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, I have a question, Tom. How did you get a 5 star rating?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:38 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I thought you just pushed the racer into the shop since I remember that it ran over your foot but maybe that was something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tow-bar'd it to the front entrance of the shop, unhooked, and then it was supposed to coast down a slight slope and zig-zag into the shop.. didn't want to coast with me in it, but it was happy to roll after I got out.. so I used my foot/leg to keep it from rolling into something volatile (100lbs propane cylinder..).

If I could work on the "drive-through" side of the shop, it'd be EASY to get dead rigs in/out with the towbar.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Anyway, I would try to rent a tow dolley or full trailer if I had to tow scout again. But if I had a T'ette I could probably easily get away with flat towing a scout II.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see no point in using a dolly. I've used 'em a couple times.

I find my tow-bar setup more stable, I can back it up, it's shorter, a more solid connection, more compact, and you can OWN the tow-bar for $150.

The only thing a dolly offers over a tow-bar is you don't have to bolt on the tow-bar mounting tabs to the rig you're towing. When I dragged my Mustang home, I used a dolly. But anything with a frame and a good bumper gets the tow-bar.

Plus, the tow-bar setup is LIGHTER than a dolly, so it takes less brake to stop the setup.

That said, I own a trailer now, and I like it. Especially behind the 1T 4dr. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried a tow bar once and only once. I towed a í73 scout II home with a tow bar, using a í95 F-250. I live in a rural area with dirt roads and the scout didnít want to turn on the dirt. I slowed for a 90ļ left-hand corner and started to turn but the scout just wanted to go straight. I had to turn back right and drive past the corner to prevent it from jackknifing. For the last few miles I had to have a friend get in the scout and turn the wheels on the scout so I could make the corners. The front wheels on the scout just didnít want to turn and apparently the scout had more mass than the F-250 [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. I have never had those problems with a dolly.

I suppose OWNING the tow bar might be nice but thatís why I got my winch for $100 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I can just winch or tow strap my parts scouts around my property now. As for long distance towing, I will probably just rent or borrow a trailer next time I need to tow something. That is, If I can find the cheap deals on IH's that you do [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:18 PM

It takes practice to tow-bar well.

First rule - NO SHARP CORNERS.. *especially* when going slow.

Gradual turns are the only way to go. Nice n' smooth, and at a moderate speed.

Also, the towed Scout shouldn't have extended shackles, or anything else that makes the poor caster worse.

I also nearly always flat-tow with stock tires on at least the front of the rig getting pulled - the 235/75-15s like to track better in a turn, and if they don't.. more right foot usually drags the skinny stockers until *I* decide it's convenient to stop and kick the tires straight. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have a trailer winch coming soon.. that'll be a big help.

But it's still difficult even to winch stuff around by myself. I usually don't have someone else handy to help - say, to turn the wheel while I pull with a strap (or push by hand).

Tow bar also lets me put things in tighter spots than my trailer.

I can use one Scout to tow-bar another into the back yard and pull forward, back up, and stuff it just about anywhere I want.

With even my Travelall and the trailer, the same room only allows me to "be there".. no room to move around much, no room to drop the ramps and actually unload the Scout..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode