factory scout limited slip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

factory scout limited slip

A buddy of mine has a 79 Scout with the factory Tracklock?
Would this be worth rebuilding (assuming you could) or should we look for a new carrier and just throw in a mini spool? Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: factory scout limited slip

Hi- The last I heard, most or all parts are still available from Dana/Spicer (try Randy's Ring & Pinion). Whether this is a good way to go or not depends on how your friend drives & what he intends to do with it. Limited slip diffs hold up OK for street use with OK longevity, and are quiet (the biggest reason why OEMs used them). Get into frequent off-roading, heavy towing, big tires, heavy right feet, etc. etc. and he will be disappointed, probably at an inconvenient time. If it needs rebuilt anyway and he has some bucks, (& the vehicle is a keeper), he could try something like a Powertrax LockRight which are fairly inexpensive & seem to hold up well to a fair amount of abuse. I run 35" tires and am very happy with mine for what I do, moderate off-roading & towing. I'm not a big fan of spools for a vehicle that is driven often on the street & I've talked to several people who have managed to break the mini spools, but others swear by them. Of course, there's always the Detroit Locker or ARB air lockers....all it takes is $$$$$$$.........! BTW: the LockRight doesn't require a new carrier (unless his is junk or he is switching gearsets to a lower ratio; new 4-series carriers are about $60, cheaper than buying "thick" gears & keeping the original carrier), but he will have to remove the carrier & ring gear to install one. This isn't too hard if you can raise the truck overhead, otherwise I think it's easier to take the axle out. Most magazine articles say you can just slip the LockRight and other "lunchbox lockers" in place without removing anything....maybe, but I've never been fortunate enough to have it be that easy...Finally (whew!)I highly recommend using the optional "Zytanium" cross pin from Powertrax, the OE pin is the weak link in the Dana 44 diff. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode