Identifying a Scout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Identifying a Scout

Hi all, need a bit of help from the Scout experts, whomever you are. I have been offered a 1966 (I'm pretty sure its a 66, but not positive) Scout from a friend (lets say I can't pass up the price). I am hoping someone can tell me what I might have in terms of options. It has the 4 cylinder engine and the engine tag rates it as net horsepower at [email protected] rpm, gross hp [email protected] rpm. The serial tag states it is a Scout 800 4X4 with a wheelbase of 100. It appears to have a 4 speed transmission, a twin stick transfer case, centered rear axle. But I can't identify what the tranny or transfer case are, is the rear axle a Dana 44 with a front Dana 30, is the engine the 154 or the 196, etc.??? If anyone can shed any light on what I'm getting, or direct me to a website that could answer my questions, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks to anyone in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 09:32 PM
JesseA

Re: Identifying a Scout

The Binderbulletin.org woule be the best place that i know of to find info on you IH. i know little about IH products, but seeing as there have been few responses i'll give it a go.
Your transmission should be a T-98 or a T-18 if it is indeed a four speed. I dont know the IH code for the trans, if it is a three speed, it would be a T-90. the Transfer cas is probably a Dana 18 if its a twin stick. you can tell positively if the rear output is immediately behind the front output (as opposed to a centered output like on the Dana 20s 300s and all of the New process and borg warner transfer cases.

The Dana 30 front axle must have been a swap in. as they should have had a closed knuckle front axle like a Dana 27.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode