84 gmc front pinion angle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

84 gmc front pinion angle

hey guys,
im currently working on an 84 gmc high sierra with 15 inch over stock lift leaf springs and all the components to make this size lift work (shocks, brake lines, steering components ect...) the truck currently has a 305 ci engine backed by a th 350tranny im not sure what tcase is under it but it has been dropped already and my front pinion angle is still not matching up i dont have any wedge blocks on it yet to try and correct this but my question is this do i need an upgraded shaft with a double cardon joint with more travel over the stock one or can i just get the front shaft leanthened and put wedge blocks on it ? any assitance with this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys

frustrated mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

In my opuon 10"s is way to much lift. Why even run a front dribeshaft. **** foes the rear eat a ujoint rverytime you go around the block.? that much i automaticaly thibk show truck and chrome. Useless

ohhh you have 15"s tires need to be like 70"s to mske that much lift wothwhile.

This era rig likes 6"s with 40"s and trimming 44"s wuth nore trimming

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The 80s show rig is gone lets build to wheel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Addict

maybe he's a farm boy who likes to run Florida deep type mud? let the guy play! as a rule the u joint angles on a d shaft need to match each other or you need a cv joint at the top and no angle at the bottom. instead of wedge blocks that will jack up your steering (caster) have your diff professionally rotated up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Journeyman

i'm currently lifting mine(as soon as i find the front axel i want) it looks like a stinkbug right now. 44' on the back and 33' on the front. i would talk to the shop that you are thinkin on buildin the drive line, see what they say and do some checking online, in this day and age somebody has done it and will probably talk about it, and then there are some that will rag on you. better to have to much knowlege then not enough. and i've got 12"lift on the back halfof mysub its no show truck by any means. if you find the answer let me know, the front end is goin up this week end.

Idiot proof is a lie considering that all of the idiots have tried it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 AM

since you are all talking about lifting your vehicles what is the best lift kit that is available on the internet? i just wanna know. i also want to lift mine by 10" please do not recommend me ebay or amazon. i want a better site that will be easier to compare prices of these car parts that i wanna buy. thanks.

Last edited by nbaker; 09-23-2011 at 03:13 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

have you guys tried longer shackles to point the pinion higher and also atain some of that lift.

your definatly into custom driveline area. dont want to point the pinion so high that is starved of oil.

nothing wrong with alot of lift. ive only seen a handfull of trucks in person with more 6"s and pretty much all of them was lacking the front driveline

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode