The burb is falling apart - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The burb is falling apart

I guess I've been neglecting the truck. Last night I noticed some liquid all over the left rear tire. I figured the wheel cylinder was worn out and it leaked brake fluid. So this morning I bought new brake shoes, a hardware kit and a new cylinder. When I pulled the brake drum off a bunch of springs fell out of it, not good but I was going to replace them anyways. This is also when I realized it wasn't brake fluid leaking, but gear oil. The axle seal is shot.
So I take off the diff cover, barely anything comes out. At this point I see a strange shadow on the bottom of one of the mufflers. It wasn't a shadow, but a fist sized hole.
I decided to reinstall my overload springs (which I removed a few months ago, now the truck sags in the back) before I go back to the parts store. One of the u-bolt nuts is really hard to get off. Oh, that's because the u-bolt is totally stripped. So now I have to buy some of those, hopefully somewhere local, otherwise I'll have to wait an extra day to get them online.
On the plus side, I did get to try out the CRC Knock'er Loose I bought at work last week. It literally freezes the rust, causing it to crack so it can penetrate in between the nuts and bolt. It worked really good!

Awesome weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Addict

I can relate. It's like I keep saying, "If it's not one thing it's fifty!"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The problem is worse than I thought. It looks like the ring and pinion weren't set up right, so the carrier had too much play. That made the axle shaft deflect enough that the wheel bearings were grinding into it. So that portion of the axle shaft is worn down about 1/8" more than the rest of it. The bearings are shot. The axle shaft shavings had accumulated at the seal which is what caused that to fail.
I guess I'm going to pull the whole thing out and see what it would cost to get it set up right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Now I'm thinking of swapping in a 14 bolt SF. Anyone know what year/model truck would have that axle with 6 lugs?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Also found that all of the bolts on the ring gear had backed out some. The ring and pinion actually look real good and have a pretty good wear pattern on them. I'm getting everything buttoned back up now, just need to get the right puller to get the bearings out of the axle tube.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Got everything put back together. The left axle shaft was toast, so threw it in the scrap pile. I just have to bleed the brakes and adjust the parking brake cable and I should be able to drive around.
Now I have to figure out what to do about the exhaust. I at least need to replace one muffler, it is rusted through. I would like to get rid of the true duals and change to a 3" single system. Pics to follow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

To fix the exhaust I decided to just replace the mufflers. I found some turbo mufflers on sale at Summit for under $20 each, so I ordered them up. I was only going to replace the rusted out one, but figured it would sound better if I replaced both with the same muffler. I'm going to try and weld them in, so we'll see how that goes.

More to follow.

C
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Addict

mufflers aren't too bad to weld in. clean up the old pipes the best you can with a wire wheel. tack the new mufflers in place, then release the hangers to get as much access to the top as you can. I have some gas welding goggles with an arc type lens for tight areas that i need to get my head higher, but for better protection I use a full hood whenever I can.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I got the first muffler welded in yesterday. Took me a while to get ready because I had to cut the old one out, then cut off the overlapping tubing so the new muffler would slide on. I'm glad I kept the cheap welding mask that came with my welder. I held it up in the areas that were too tight to get into with my helmet on and it worked out great. I got the other muffler cut off yesterday, but a big storm rolled in and put me out of business for a while.
I also replaced the bolts on the header collectors because the old ones were rusted in. Someday I will actually remember to take pictures of this stuff as I go.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rock View Post
Someday I will actually remember to take pictures of this stuff as I go.
I say that all the time...I don't like to admit it is not likely to become a habit of taking pictures. Just too tunnel visioned i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode