Always something - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Always something

Man, there is always something that needs fixing on the Burb. Yesterday the battery crapped out. I knew it was on its last legs, it was starting real slow. I tried to charge it with no luck, so I took it in and got a replacement. The old one was 7 years into an 8 year warranty, so not a big deal. I put the new battery in and the truck won't start, just a single click. I figured it was the starter, and sure enough that was the problem. I'm fairly certain it was the stock starter from 1989! I also noticed that the main lug on it was real loose, so I think that was what caused my intermittent electrical problems.
So for now, all is good in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Journeyman

Don't feel bad mine wasn't starting so I put adapters to change from side mount to top mount on the batery. Then the water pump went then thermastat now the rearend is gone. Almost feel like goin and geting a new truck. O and the wifes sub has tbi that's runnin to rich. And finaly one of the prior owners removed thegears out of the front axel. But I remember the look on a guys face that was stuck in his brand new hummer as I pulled him out. He spent to much thinkin that hummers where the beat all in offroad and I told hime I only had five grand into my sub. Poor guy looked sick.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'm not too worried about it, at least I don't have to make any monthly payments on it.
It seems like the problems all happen at the same time, kind of like you're talking about. My steering box is leaking so bad I have to refill it every day. I need to rebuild or replace it pretty soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Journeyman

Got one off 81. Want it? As far as I can remember didn't leak. I don't think I can use it becaus mine is metric. Either way mines good and the spare is a door stop right now. Got the pump too.
I've got to find 3" drop pitman arm. My son gave me a choice. 1 tons and the rear fender extension or 10 lug mystery axels. I believe they are off a 2 1/2 or 5 ton. Not sure I've already got some 44" on some off-set rims. Only problem other then rims and tires for the heavy axel would be moving spring perches and configuring the steering set up. Any ideas?

Last edited by texas sub; 11-10-2010 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the offer but I just picked up a box yesterday.

Are they military axles? You'd probably have to weld on some spring perches and shock mounts, fabricate cross-over steering (I think you'll need a 2wd steering box for that), and find some kind of a conversion u-joint or custom drive shafts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Journeyman

Not sure where theycame from as far as steering and drivelines, the driveline will go to a drive line shop let them have fun balancing it. I work in a mechine shop so the crossover steering should be fairly quick to build just waitin on materials and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode