Drivin sub again - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

cool thanks just out of curiosity has any one done the axel flip so that the pinion is higher? i had to get the spring perch of and move it so i figuered that i might as well flip it. so i'm trying to find out angle in degrees on the pinion, and my son said that i would have to cut into the housing so i could put a drip trey in for oiling the front pinion bearing? supposedly powerblock tv just did this and the show how, i slept in that morning and the web sight for spyke tv is aggrivating i need to know if it is nessesary and well how to do it. let me know if you can help please.

Idiot proof is a lie considering that all of the idiots have tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Addict

I have heard that high pinion housings are different for oiling. Not very knowledgeable about that part. I do know for sure you will need reverse rotation gears or your wheels will be turning backwards!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Talking

well $#@%(. you're right so much for that idea. oh well guess i'll break the tacks and flp it back over. i should have thought of that as much as i'm messing with gears at work. any idea on the angles?
and by the way thankyou, that saved me alot of time. altho mabey i can set upa gear box with 2/1 attached to the axel and then do the same for the front axel. this might get interresting. the only problem is getting gears to handle the torque and horse power. any one got some ideas? a spliter would be nice, 1/1 on normal 2/1 on off-road. that would change the ratio to 7.46/1?
let me know what yall think
mike

Last edited by texas sub; 05-25-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Addict

are you talking about a two speed gear box on the axle? most folks put a doubler on the t-case. eliminates a gear box that way. as far as strong enough gears, extreme low gears are usually for control and crawling. if you don't thrash you should be fine
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

just tryn to figure a way to make it work, without- throwing money at it. three kids and a house full of dogs dosn't leave much. and i've got a 203 holding the floor down in the shed. also have 241c on the sub and 208c next to the 203. my problem is that i have had this apart for 3 weeks waitin on my son to bring my aframe back or my dad to bring my engine hoist. i've already started to fab some extended shackle mounts and well now i guess its flip the axel back overand see about puttin it all back together again. i seriosly need to get an idea about my dash.hasn't had one in 4 yrs. i've got to many irons in the fire. 86 3/4 crewcab locked up 454, 78 ralley sport camero with factory 4 on the floor and another 454 sittin in the bed of the crew cab and finally 350 sittin on the floor in the shed. i need a vaction.
mike

post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

laid off

wanted time and i got it guess i can't complain how i get itFacebook + Media | Facebook
i'll be getting the front raised this weakend. i've already hit most of the welding jobs, and tomarrow probably start on all the desiel mecanics jobs. here in lubock the welding shops try to start you at 8.50 hr. even with 10yrs experience. because of no rain and all the heat there is no cotton around here.
so i've got time on my hands. i took the spring perches off and re welded them i think i've got the right angle. any ways i have to get some steel and make better rear shackle mounts along with new shocks and their mounts. thats a 14 bolt for a desiel 3/4 ton crewcab
mike

Last edited by texas sub; 07-13-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added some
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do an internet search. The plans for the brackets used to be available somewhere. I just can't remember where right now.

Drey - "might as well try...with enough duct tape anything is possible"
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

thanks

just about to give up and scrap it all. done went through surgury and 5 wks no workin or doin anything worth doin. my sub has been sittin that way for a year, gave the crewcab that i had to the boy so he could scrap it for rent. the camero has been cut and gutted most of it is gone to scrap. i havn't turned the motor over in the sub since i parked it. and the wife looks at me funny when i ask for money

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

scratch that

ok just cant doit ive got the sub this close just need to get my but in gear.
mabey go out and play some to remember why i doit,just can't let the wife find out.(the only rig that runs is the denali)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode