Auxillary battery tray - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Auxillary battery tray

So I got an OEM auxillary battery tray (the left side) and it looks like I will have to relocate the evaporator canister to fit it. Does anyone know where they mounted it from the factory when they had dual batteries?
It looks like I'll have to either move it just next to the radiator, or maybe I could attach it to the battery mount.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Wow, not much help here lately... I decided to just move it right next to the radiator. The battery tray I got needs a little TLC, so it is going to take a little extra time to get it mounted up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Some progress

Today I welded a new 'foot' to the battery tray, then I painted it up nice with some flat black I had in the shop. I also put in new spark plugs, the old ones were practically rusted to the heads. I 'upgraded' to some platinum Autolite plugs. I also put in new plug wires. I found out the old ones were melted in a couple of places, and there were also a couple of breaks in the outer shielding.
I love when the little improvements I make are noticeable when I drive the truck. It actually runs smoother and feels like it has a bit more get up and go than it did before.
I also reinstalled the brush guard I had on it before. I had to remove it when I added the CUCV shackle mounts to the front. I got rid of those when I put on the front hitch, so I could reattach the brush guard. Someday I'm going to build myself a bumper that integrates the hitch and the brush guard.
Next on the list is to install the Summit racing heater. I figure I should get going on that well before winter rolls around.
No pics from today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rock View Post
Wow, not much help here lately... I decided to just move it right next to the radiator. The battery tray I got needs a little TLC, so it is going to take a little extra time to get it mounted up.
Sorry , been busy with the kids. I think that your right on the location I just can't remember. Waitin on the pics.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I got the tray installed today, now I have to save up some money for a battery isolator of some sort. I really don't know how to wire up two batteries, but I guess I'll figure it out.
I started looking for a spot to put my mojave heater, and it looks like the only real good place is behind the glove box. The computer is in the way though, so I'll have to move it over a little bit. I'm also thinking of just getting rid of the glove box altogether. I have a big center console and use it for everything anyways. Plus, the screws holding the glove box fall out all the time and the only think I keep in there is the registration and insurance card.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

Just don't hook it up for 24 volt. Things start smokin and nothin works till you rewire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode