Broke down - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Broke down

The burb left me stranded on the side of the road yesterday. It made some noise like parts were falling off, then the engine shut off. I pulled over and tried to start it up again. It turns over but won't start.
I did some troubleshooting today with not much luck. It is getting fuel but there is no spark. It's getting power to the coil. The rotor is turning so I'm sure it's not the timing chain. I just don't know.
This truck has TBI, so I'm wondering if it could be the computer. I ran it for codes and there aren't any stored. I'm thinking that could be because the battery ran down so low that it dumped them.
A reman computer costs about $70 so I may just give that a try.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Journeyman

how old is the dis cap? also check the moduel all hell spelling went to crap.its a sham i just gave all my tbi stuff away.sorry to hear it though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The distributor cap is a few years old. My dad thinks it is the timing chain, just from what I told him. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can bump the engine a few times to get the rotor to point at the #1 cylinder. Then if the cylinder is not at or near TDC, we're thinking that the timing is way off, which would be caused by a broken or damaged chain. I'll also check the module.
I checked prices on timing chain sets, and they are around $30 complete. So I may just go ahead and change that out since I'm pretty sure it has never been done in the truck's 210k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I did some more troubleshooting and it turned out to be the ignition control module. I went ahead and replaced the cap and rotor since they were looking worn down. The coil wire was looking pretty rough too, so tomorrow I'm going to get new plug wires and replace the spark plugs while I'm at it. Seems like I almost have a whole new truck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Journeyman

after that all you have to do is "what havn't i replaced"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode