Frustrating noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Frustrating noise

I started hearing a squeal coming from one of the pulleys a couple of weeks ago. I was 99% sure it was the power steering pump, so I swapped that out. The noise is still there and I cannot figure out which pulley it is. Luckily, the power steering pump was under warranty and it didn't cost anything more than a couple hours work and a bottle of fluid.
Anyone have some tips for finding the source of the noise? I took off the belt and spun everything by hand with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Journeyman

are u sure its a pulley, could be the bearing on the altinator,try a stethiscope on the alt, waterpump or smog pump if u have one, i had the bearings go out on the alt and tried three differant pulleys , finally pulled it and felt the rotation had a bad spot. try w-d40 or hair spray that will tell if it is a pulley. other than that i would have to hear it to tell.
mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I've never had this much trouble pinpointing a noise like this. The alternator bearings were making some noise, so I replaced it (under warranty). While I was at it, I went ahead and replaced the idler pulley because the original looked a little ragged. The noise is still there. I'm pretty sure now that it is the water pump. There is no smog pump, so the only thing left besides the water pump is the tensioner pulley. But like I said, I've never had this much trouble pinpointing a problem, so it will probably end up being something else entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Addict

if a serpentine belt gets a little oil on it, it can squeal. belt dressing will make it worse.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I don't think it's the belt, but I'll check it tonight before I change the water pump. I swear, if it's the belt I'm going to kick myself a dozen times.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Journeyman

Question

whats up, you got me curios?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'm about half way through changing out the water pump. I got the old one off, spun it as fast as I could, and could hear a faint scraping in the bearings. I'm fairly sure now that it is the problem. I got the new pump on and decided I need to replace the hoses while I have it all apart. The water neck is rusted really badly too, so I think I'll change that out if they have one at the parts store. So now I have to wait til tomorrow to finish since all the stores are closed.
Trying to paint the house and do a ton of other chores has been slowing my progress on the truck. I still have a stack of parts to install including motor and tranny mounts, Ford shock towers with Bilstein 5125's, and a new heater.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Solved

It turns out it was the belt tensioner. The pulley was a little worn out, and the spring inside the tensioner itself was really pretty worn down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode