Little help on My Build - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Little help on My Build

Hey all im new to the forum and figured id get some opinions on what front and rear end i should go with, and how big of a lift i should go with, i have a 1980 suburban body on a 86 frame, atm i believe it has a 4" rancho suspension lift(thats what the guy i bought it from told me) its the 1/2 model with auto 350 in it. My plan is to run some 37-38s on it(so i can be bigger then my buddys blazer :P) and just wondering what the best set-up is gonna be best, its not gonna be a dd so i dont care much about fuel milage, just whats gonna be good in the mud. Also if i was just gonna run 35s what would be the best option for me to go? Thanks for all and any help!(also looking to spend the least amount possible)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 AM

On my 82 K10 I had a mix match lift... 6 inch lift springs up front. 4 inch springs in the rear and a 3 inch body lift. I had 35s on it with plenty of room to clear 38s. The factory set up for all K series trucks is that the front end sits 2 inches lower than the rear. This is the reason i lifted the front of mine 2 inches more than the rear. it sat perfectly level and didn't nose dive.

The front springs were around $250 from superlift.
You could save money and just use blocks in the rear.
Body lifts are usually less than $100

NEVER use lift blocks to raise the front of your truck.... It's deadly!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

ok sounds good, that seems like the easist way to do it, how can i tell right now if i really have a lift right now or not? deff looks like theres blocks in the back, so ill got measure that, maybe ill luck out and just have to get new springs in the front and do the body lift. heres a pic. what gears are you using in yours? also was wondering if front and rear bushing kits are necessary?

Last edited by kaelshort; 06-24-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM

looks like you have a 4 inch lift already on it... you should be able to clear
35's as is. as far as gears i ran a 3:73 and it was a little sluggish in the bottom end of the powerband. if you run 35's i would recomend 4:11 gears for everyday use or step up to 4:88 if you do alot of towing or wheeling
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM

BTW suburbans are kick ass.... 4X4 suburbans are even better
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Journeyman

looks pretty healthy, don't forget to upgrade the brace stearing box. igot a 90
texassub
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

yeah atm it has some 373 gears ill proably keep them in there till they go, then ill proably be switching to some 4.88 gears and one ton axles so i can turn some 38s, i plan on going to the store tomorrow and ordering a 3inch body, cuz im getting my 35s on monday and rather be a little higher anyways for them on there also i was wondering if anyone knows what color of wire is the gas gauge wire coming from the wiring harness in the engine bay, long story shorts they guy before me threw a newer body on there and didnt connect anything, so i got a pink wire going from the gas tank, and i dont know what to connect it to, found a yellow wire hanging on the frame by the wheel well in the front, could that be it? any help is appreciated
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 PM

good call on the steering brace... The frame behind the steering box is very weak... mine cracked just from normal daily driving with 35's... When you install your body lift you need to extend your steering shaft also. if not you'll have too much stress on it and it can fail without warning causing a nasty situation if your in traffic ... as far as axles the stock half tons will hold up to 38s on pavement providing you don't abuse them. Then again its always better to be safe than sorry... steer clear of the 8 lug 10 bolt front axle when you upgrade. Its really nothing more than your stock front axle now, just bigger brakes and 2 extra wheel studs
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

hmmm k sounds good, so anyone got any idea on that wiring? or know a place online with all the vehicle wiring?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Journeyman

checking on it, son's got an 86? not sure if it helps? also the body lift might be a problem, they like to twist in a bind. new ones might be better? some where in the old pages of this site theres a guy who has the ratios for gears/ tire ratio. i haven/t found it again. if you hav a pic on the wires might help, son has gone to bed.

Last edited by texas sub; 07-05-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
suburban

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode