Blazer w a 6.2L diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Blazer w a 6.2L diesel

Hi all. Im usually on here for my jeepster but am thinking on buying a blazer with a 6.2 liter diesel. I do not know much about this motor but would like some input if anybody has any.
Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

that motor is pretty much junk. but i think it would be kool in k5 crawling around burning desel. it should work well just doesnt have much if anymore power than the 350 gasser

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Journeyman

all the 6.2s that i've seen playing around,they don't last long. never had one. i have seen one up in boise id. power train swaped for gas ,original axels and brake/power steering setup. it was diehard, and mean.
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

see my hood emblem. ive noticed quite a few 6.2s in blazers around here. though mine is running a 350 with TBI heads and carb intake everything else is stock but she runs very well with the carb feeding tbi heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blazerside.jpg (57.8 KB, 0 views)

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.

The folks there and on the diesel forum on Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community can tell you quite a bit about them. They're good engines and will last a good long time getting great mpg if you take care of them.
That said they aren't and never will be a Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke. A lot of folks think they were supposed to be big power towing motors and they aren't. They were meant to be great mpg replacements for GM's most common engine in it's trucks in the early 90's...the small block V8. Similar levels of power as a factory carbed SBC while getting at least half again better gas mileage and sometimes double.

2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 with stuff. Stockish.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMBLAZER View Post
The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.

The folks there and on the diesel forum on Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community can tell you quite a bit about them. They're good engines and will last a good long time getting great mpg if you take care of them.
That said they aren't and never will be a Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke. A lot of folks think they were supposed to be big power towing motors and they aren't. They were meant to be great mpg replacements for GM's most common engine in it's trucks in the early 90's...the small block V8. Similar levels of power as a factory carbed SBC while getting at least half again better gas mileage and sometimes double.
Just thought I'd echo this. I have a wheelin' buddy that's got a 6.2 diesel, and what you said is pretty much the truth.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Can't Get Enough

Andrew has posted a good reply. If you take care of the engine: change the oil, put good fuel in it, and replace the glow plugs if they are bad, and keep the cooling system in good shape(hmm, sounds llike what you would do with any engine, except the low plugs) it will be a long lasting engine that is predictable, easy to maintain andreturns good fuel milage.

My 6.2 has 74,000 miles on it. It is in a 6700lb, 1990 suburban with 39.5' bias ply Iroks and a 1 ton drivetrain with 5.13 gears(it does have OD). I pull 15 miles per gallon consistantly. My big block powered truck that weighed a little more than the sub only got 7-9 mpg and most any small block in my truck would maybe get 12 mpg.

Botom line: If you want a good running engine that gives good mileage, the 6.2 is it.

Drey - "might as well try...with enough duct tape anything is possible"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM
ema

I hope this still counts. Well, my brother had one and he said that really, it's a good engine. Gives you good mileage although it runs only for a short time. it's like it'll exhaust all that it can, give you the umph, but it'll quickly get tired.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Sounds like somebody who never took care of their diesel.

There's plenty of us with well over 100k on ours and they run just fine.

2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 with stuff. Stockish.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
ema

Oh, hmmm, I'll ask him again. He just observed that from his friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode