My Suburban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

My Suburban

I'm just trying to post a pic of my Suburban for your viewing pleasure

It's an 89 with 5" of front lift (springs/zero rate) and 4" of rear lift (all spring), 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, built 700R4, the rest of the drivetrain is stock. Interior is bedlined and has some no-name suspension bucket seats in the front.

Mods to come soon are a totally new dash (probably some 1" square tube and aluminum skin, plus Autometer gauges), custom door panels (just aluminum skin), the old ones are torn off already, and dark grey Durabak bedliner on the outside (2 gallons in the barn ready to go).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 Mar 07.jpg (105.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

A few more pics

Looks like the first pic loaded fine so here are a few more.

The first is the rear 10-bolt after the spider gear gave way. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to upgrade at the time and pieced together a fix with some junkyard parts.
The second pic is the interior after the Durabak went in a couple of years back.
And the last pic is at the lake this past summer.

I'll try to get some non-posing pics (actually off-road) in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Where's the spider gear.jpg (105.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg subinterior04.JPG (33.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0891.jpg (101.0 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

thanks for posting the pics.

very good lookin well built suburban, looking forward to more pics.

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Journeyman

nice, i've got a 90. as soon as i can fiqure out the wife's camera i'll post some pics. how long, dificult was the bedliner. was it spray or roll on ? any tips- warnings?
did you have to reinforce stering box? i'm looking to move up from 33's. think that the front axel was weleded before i got mine. swaped to standard 3 speed wgranny. i've been thinking about the dash, droped 205 on the gages, sliped in the mud. thats what i told the wife anyways. had to get rid of the 5.7 tbi, 60 over 350 with 2.02 replacement.
anyways, nice to see another biggun out there. looks great!
mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM

thats my fave front clip of that model. thats why i [put one on my 75 blazer. love the floor liner too, will save your floor from getting rusted out...more pics plz
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas sub View Post
nice, i've got a 90. as soon as i can fiqure out the wife's camera i'll post some pics. how long, dificult was the bedliner. was it spray or roll on ? any tips- warnings?
did you have to reinforce stering box? i'm looking to move up from 33's. think that the front axel was weleded before i got mine. swaped to standard 3 speed wgranny. i've been thinking about the dash, droped 205 on the gages, sliped in the mud. thats what i told the wife anyways. had to get rid of the 5.7 tbi, 60 over 350 with 2.02 replacement.
anyways, nice to see another biggun out there. looks great!
mike
The hardest part about any bedliner is the preparation. I pretty much sanded everything down to where the finish didn't shine any more, cleaned it all up with xlyene, and put on the bedliner. I did the entire floorpan, front to back, and it took me probably a week to get done, working at night and on the weekend. I rolled it on, and it took 3 coats to get good coverage and the look I was going for.
I just started working on the outside this past week. I got almost the whole body sanded down and have finished putting dark grey Durabak on the front fenders so far. I'll definitely get some pics when the weather clears up and I can pull it out of the barn.
I installed the Off Road Design steering brace a few years back. When I first got the truck, I started trying to put in all of the important things like that which would make it last longer. Now that I've moved up to 35"s I'm glad that I did.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental elf View Post
thats my fave front clip of that model. thats why i [put one on my 75 blazer. love the floor liner too, will save your floor from getting rusted out...more pics plz
Yah, I got this truck in California and it WAS rust free. I've had it in Louisiana for about 6 years now, and I am almost constantly battling the rust. Nothing severe so far, mostly just surface.
This pic was in my yard right after I had the new tires installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1369.jpg (101.5 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Journeyman

thanks for the info! now i can start my next project. 3 kids make agood sized mess,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode