Axle Question/ General info fairly new - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Axle Question/ General info fairly new

Ok well ive always been into off roading and builing motors and all but never got into to much detail about axles and technical off road parts and stuff like that. Im actually building my first Off road truck that i own lol. Anyway i have 85 Silverado k20 i was just wondering which axles i have. Ive been told dana 60's both front and rear but they are both stock i know that. Problem is im deployed to Iraq right now and cant get the numbers of them. I want to know if they are the 30spline fullfloating or what. I need some help.oh and the gear ratio.

Also just wanna know what i got is good i have a 6inch lift with a built 355 puting out about 400hp roughly. Im running a th400 tranny with a np203 transfer, I have 315/75/R16 goodyear wranger MT/Rs for it.Also have a 2400 stall converter. Just wondering if there is anything else to suggest of some more basic info would be appreciated thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dana 60s are fine.

gears are more important than the horses under the hood.

you more than likely have a 10bolt front, 14b semifloater rear or dana 60.

the rear axle is almost certianly not 35 spline. this are fairly rar in a factory truck and are in one tons. they have an exstra rib in the pumpkin.

what kinda motor mods do you have. 400horse is alot. sounds like you have 350 bored .30 over. with some very hot heads and cam to come up with 400 ponies.

regardless of the ponies you should be fine on a 10 bolt front and either semi floater 14 rear or dana 60.

im runniing a tbi 350 stock converted to a carbed intake. along with dual 10bolt axles welded stock gears dont even know the ratio dont care. heck i pulled the ring gear off so i could weld the spiders the case and i dont even know the gear ratio.

all that goes through a sm465 tranny into a 205 t-case. in granny gear low gear shes putn some power to the ground through 35x10.5 boggers.

im actualy amazed i havent twisted off an axle or grenaded something in the one of the ring and pinions..

you should be fine running mtrs and a 3/4 rear end.

lift is great. im running 6 ruff country front springs 3 leafs removed now for something in the 3-4" lift range. they are 2 leaf packs now. you have 5. even at 5 thry will perform well and ride alright.

let us know how it goes.

Evan

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Journeyman

I'll pretty much echo Evan except to remind him that GM didn't put a Dana 60 in the rear of those trucks.

For sure you've got the GM Corp. 10 bolt in the front, but a Dana 60 out of a K30 will bolt right in when you need the added beef. If you've got the std. GVWR you'll have the 14 bolt 9.5", if it's a camper special with the heavier GVWR you'll get the 14 bolt 10.5" full floating rear axle.

Are you sure it's an NP203 transfercase? Stock was the NP208, an aluminum part-time chain driven t-case. The NP203 is a cast iron full-time chain driven case from 73-80, also it is longer and has a squat gear reduction box before the power dividing portion of the box.

Recommendations:
Steering Box Brace <- Clicky. The writeup they have there will explain why, it IS necessary, not always first, but inevitibly.
How is your 6" lift achieved? For the rear, I would recommend: Shackle Flip Kit then 2" blocks at the most, otherwise you'll start to get axle wrap.
If you don't have the 14 bolt FF and plan to swap one in, at that time I would do this: Ubolt Reversal Kits

No, I don' work for ORD, they've just put a lot of time into fixing all the little things that need help on our trucks and they do make good stuff.

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you sure the 60 didnt come in the rear of chevy's

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Journeyman

From 1968 to 1970 there were some C-series 1/2-tons with semi-float D-60s, with smaller 30 spline axles. Likewise the full-float versions in the C-20 trucks from 1969-1972 also used 30-spline 1.31 inch shafs, as did some K-150 & K-2500 GMC trucks from 1967 to. In this era and after (73-78), the G-3500 vans used a full-float D60, but had the larger 1.5" 35-spline shafts. There is a Spicer application book that shows dual-rear-wheel, full-float D60s in vertain G-series vans from 79-91.

Evan, I peeled that out of a reference book that I have. If we're counting the vans I stand corrected Personally I've seen some interesting Eaton rear axles in pre-'73 trucks (they had a removable 3rd member & diff cover), the usual 10/12/14 bolts, but I haven't found any Danas. I am constantly on the lookout for 14FF so I've stuck my head under...lots, shall we say, of pickups in fields, in junkyards, and elsewhere.

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Devin

i pulled my 14ff from a suburban, i also have spare 14sf from ifs truck, both 410 gears and welded. got bored and welded them.
i stole dan60 with factory limited slip. its also 410, im hanging on to the 60 for my cousin i said he could have it for his scout.

i have 410 8 lug 10 bolt to match the 14ff. still waitn to see a dana60 low pinion float may way that has 410s

my 35 boggers arent wearn out very fast, ounce they do ill swap the 14ff under along with the 8 lug ten bolt and bolt on some 38 tsl's. i dont drive it but ounce a month or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode