Budget BURB buildup .. opinions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
speedmachine

Budget BURB buildup .. opinions?

kk im new to this forum and am building my first budget bogger.

this is what i have

86 3/4 ton suburban, rebuilt stock truck 454 TH400, Np208, dana 44 front SF 14 bolt rear. 4.10 gears

mods
chopped fenders, 4 inch block lift, transfercase lowered 1 inch, heavy duty front pushbumper, rollbar, gutted interior, plastic manula locking hubs, skidplate for 208

mods to do
grouve up some old bald 31 inch mudders, weld up rear diff. plus other fix ups [ leaky gas tank, etc.] dual exhaust etc.
i also bought a lift steering arm but im having a hell of a time getting the old one off.
any suggestions on cheap must haves when building a budget machine..

By the way this is not a road machine... its offroad only.

extra parts i do have are...
1 dana 44 from a 3/4 ton
1 SF 14 bolt
2 Th400s
1 Np 208
1 Np203

what other things should i consider getting... im on a strict and very tight budget, i know things like a winch and better tires are a big one but they are too expensive right now.

thanks

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 PM
speedmachine

ive also read about re enforcing around the steering box.. someone please expand.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Well you have a good start just a couple of suggestions if your gonna make this a mudder i would go with the np203 its gear to gear transfer its stronger and all time 4x4 that is if it doesnt have a mod kit. As far as your tires check out tirerack.com the dunlop mudders are pretty cheap and a good mud tire.You have some good parts though to get you started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
speedmachine

actually the full time np203 is not gear to gear thats the np205, the 203 has a great big chain in it.
thanks for the tire info... ill check into it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

steering box reinforment is almost a necisty when you put on larger than stock tires.

i all but riped my steering box off the frame and im only running 35s. off road design makes two very good kits to reinforce it, one is weld in and one bolts .

suburban sounds like its well on its way, though i would sujest not putn blocks in the front. and being a mudder and willing to hack on the fenders im not sure you need to lift it all to run tires as large as 40s

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig

Last edited by The_Kid; 01-04-2009 at 08:36 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
speedmachine

well, now she totally mobile, and running quite well. the rear diff is welded and now shes a locker and it has a rollbar. the next big thing is tires, having trouble with the money aspect though, they arent cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2931.jpg (102.1 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

looks great,

yeah tires do hamper things Bias tires are the only way to go cause big radials will run dang near 400 a tire.

im dead set on a bias interco 38x13 TSL or 37x13 bogger. maybe the 38 15 bogger. i guess im not set just set on those 3. boggers are so trackable. but so horrible on the road tsl should do better as an all around get to trail head tire .

the 38 11.5 bogger also looks good as trail tire.

narrrow tires do good on the trail.

Last edited by The_Kid; 01-21-2009 at 09:10 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 AM
speedmachine

well i managed to break the locker a few days ago, i got stuck and didnt feel like pulling it out... hahaha the next day was minus 26 degrees hahaha and she froze in... when i tried to drive out i snapped it.... does anyone know of a spool or mini spool for the gm 14 bolt 9.5 sf diff... i cant seem to find one
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

for some reason they dont like spooling the semifloating 9.5, i guess because it puts added stress on axlshaft, then if they snap off pops your tries as your drivn down the road. the entire axle wheel assembly is held on by a c clip inside the carrier.

detroit make locker i think..

cheapest route would be to weld it.

the best way to weld it is to pull the carrier then pull the ring gear from carrier, that way you can get good welds all the way around it.
start by welding the spider and side gears to carrier. make sure the side gears are turned so that the center pin still goess in and out of the carrier.

ounce the gears are all welded to the carrier houseing start welding the gears to themselves. this turns the carrier into one solid rotateing mass(spool)

for that axle that is the easiest cheapest route to go.

i have a welded 4.10(9.5) carrier, i welded it awhile back.. its kinda my spar axle but i dont realy need it. so you may be able to talk me out of it if you wanted it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
speedmachine

hahahaa.. well i pulled her out today and the axle came out as i was pulling it.. it turned out that my welded up locker is fine.. instead i broke the spline right off the end of the axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode