Off-Road Bumper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Orange Rush

Off-Road Bumper

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forums here, but I have a few questions that maybe someone here could answer.

First, I have a 1983 GMC K1500 Pickup that I am looking for an off-road front bumper for. I would like to be able to mount a winch to the front of it. Has anyone found a bolt on bumper for this application, or am i going to have to modify one and make it work for me.

I have also thought about trying to figure out how i can mount a winch on the original bumper I have. Do any of you have any suggestions on a good mounting kit and brackets that would work for my application?

Any certain winches that I should consider when i decide to purchase mine.

Any help will be much appriciated
Thanks, Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

For a basic bumper that is made to hold a winch, then you could probably find that by looking at the 2 big names in winches. Ramsey or Warn should have something on there websites. You may have to dig a little deeper to find them, but they should be there. You other option is to build a cradle between the frame, much like a receiver hitch out back uses.

Perhaps a stroll around DIY4x.com will give you some ideas. I'm not completely sure what you're looking for, so maybe you'll at least get a basic idea if nothing there fits the bill.

A pain in the worlds butt, since 1967
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Journeyman

Not sure how much you want to spend but Buckstop makes a winch bumper for these trucks.

Otherwise like Tx said, Warn has a few, the "Classic" and "Enforcer" for sure.

Devin

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD SLT, 4x4, EC/LB, LBZ/Allison, Summit White with Charcoal Leather, dealer installed Westin Platinum Series bars and a Line-X.

R.I.P. Jason (willyswanter) Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Little late on the reply.

I have the same year and will be installing one of Warn's front recievers and their 'mutli-mount' winch set-up.
Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: Multi-Mount Portable System

Can be used in the front of rear this way.

Also DIY4X: Catering to those who enjoy doing it themselves. and Offroad Design - Fullsize 4x4 Performance
make winch mount bumpers for these trucks.

Watch for articles on this multi-mount plate as well as some offroad designs products in the 'Big Bad CHevy' series of articles in the Truck 4x4 section of Off-road.com!

I'd be interested in seeing some pic's of your truck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM

I mounted the winch on my Chevy by hacking up a cheap MileMarker winch plate for Jeeps. I measured the inside to inside distance between the frame rails just behind the factory bumper. I cut the C channel winch plate to this distance -1/4 inch or so. I welded 3/8 late to the ends of the C channels and drilled holes in them. I lined everything up and drilled holes in the frame in the same places. I have a MM winch with remote solienoid pack so it fit. Bigger winches will not. When it was installed all you could see was the hook as the hawse fairlead was black and below the license plate. The controller was mounted under hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode